Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair
05-04-2017, 15:45 (This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 15:46 by cmillsap.)
RE: Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair
The first photo shown in David’s link above showing the jigs attached to the sides of each panel was interesting to me. I have always wondered why I could see 2 parallel lines in the SS panels about 3 inches away from both sides of the vertical edge of the panels. These lines separate and distorts any reflections or mirror images reflected by the polished ss panels. It appears these lines were made by the edges of the jig as it compressed the ss panel to the vertical forms behind. All panels on my bus display this condition. Looking straight on at the sides of the bus, those lines can’t be seen. You must view the bus sides from an acute angle and in certain lighting conditions to see them. I don’t know if this can be seen on any other bus or not. I do know that I have looked at many XL2 and XL3 models but have not been able to see these lines.

Now, I am wondering if this has had a positive effect on the fact that my 15 year-old bus has its original panels which to my knowledge have never been re-glued. I have searched the repair records from Prevost and Marathon and can’t find any evidence that the panels were ever re-glued.

Could it be that “over” compression of the panel edges to the forms by the jigs created the condition but improved the adhesive’s ability to remain adhered, I’m only guessing? I also don’t know if these same type jigs were used during the original assembly. But if anyone else has seen this condition on an XL2 or XL3, I’d be interested in knowing about it.

A photo showing the condition on my bus isn’t possible as my camera can’t pick up the distortion lines. But here’s the interesting photo of the jigs I mentioned earlier.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair - cmillsap - 05-04-2017 15:45
RE: XLII Panel Repair Alternative - Arctic bird - 11-10-2014, 16:18

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)