Prevost Gurus - the Member Funded Prevost Forum
Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair - Printable Version

+- Prevost Gurus - the Member Funded Prevost Forum (http://www.prevostgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Chassis (/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair (/showthread.php?tid=71)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair - davidbrady - 10-24-2014 10:22

It's more of a panel loosening issue than a "skin delam" issue. The panel is adhered onto the chassis tubing, no mechanical attachment. The adhesive fails and the panels start to leak water into living space and into the basement. Here's a few pics showing some of the jigging Prevost uses to rivet and reattach the panels.

RE: Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair - Hisham Amaral - 10-25-2014 07:56

David
Thanks for posting the pics.

RE: Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair - CC_Guy - 10-28-2014 17:18

(10-24-2014 10:22)davidbrady Wrote:  It's more of a panel loosening issue than a "skin delam" issue. The panel is adhered onto the chassis tubing, no mechanical attachment. The adhesive fails and the panels start to leak water into living space and into the basement. Here's a few pics showing some of the jigging Prevost uses to rivet and reattach the panels.

Are those pictures of the repair jigs or the jigs for holding the rivet cover trim strips on while the adhesive sets?

RE: Prevost XLII Skin Delamination Repair - travelite - 10-28-2014 19:23

Welcome to the forum CC_Guy and a plus 2 rep goes out to you for your first post!

I'm not sure what step in the process these pics represent. I didn't witness the full procedure; maybe someone else can shed some light on the process. You can imagine these jigs being used during multiple steps. It seems like overkill for them to be developed simply for the decorative trim pieces; but I'd only be speculating if I went further.

XLII Panel Repair Alternative - davidbrady - 11-02-2014 22:00

There is another approach to loose XLII panel repair. Turns out you don't need to spend upwards of $40000 to repair your loose XLII panels. A friend of mine who's bus is suffering from loose panels told me of a conversation he had with Guy French, Vice President of Service at Prevost. Guy recommends either one of two possible fixes to XLII loose panels. The first is the expensive and somewhat destructive approach of drilling, riveting, and the addition of aesthetic stainless covering strips. The second, and by far more economical approach, is to re-glue the panels using Loctite 5590 or Bostik 70-03a; this approach costs between $10K to $15k, has no paint redo, and keeps the coach intact and as designed. Both approaches are ordained by corporate Prevost, and both are effective solutions. The second approach eliminates the destructive drilling of stainless steel and bus spaceframe components. It also allows panels to be easily removed and repaired in the case of damage due to collisions. So there you have it folks. Prevost corporation will execute the repairs and stand behind either technique. You have a choice!

RE: Contrary to Popular Belief: XLII Panel Repair Alternative - Arctic bird - 11-04-2014 23:11

I would have a very tough time allowing somebody to drill my pristine (but loose) panels! Good to hear there's a better option!

RE: Contrary to Popular Belief: XLII Panel Repair Alternative - travelite - 11-07-2014 01:44

I completely agree Arctic Bird. It'd be a cold day in hell before I'd let someone drill my panels and drill my XLII space frame structure. Before that happens I'd scour the earth for a suitable adhesive, and if we only get 10 years out of our adhesives, then every 10 years I'd re-adhere the panels! I kinda feel sorry for the people that went for the rivets and cover strip approach. I think many of them were heavily influenced in this direction by others. There's still no guarantee that the rivet and cover strip approach will be water tight 10 years down the road, and now they're left with a huge job should the panels need to be removed and re-sealed. Plus, they have holes in the super structure for moisture to collect and rust to form. Remember, unlike the H3 which is stainless, the XLII uses mild steel square section tubing.

RE: Contrary to Popular Belief: XLII Panel Repair Alternative - CC_Guy - 11-08-2014 12:11

The re-glue process was Prevost's first fix. According to some, that approach failed, at least it did on some number of repairs. Then came the rivet approach that also required a change in adhesive. As I understand it, this approach too has failed. I don't know what the number of failures where after either fix and whether they were the result of workmanship in the repairs or actual failures of the adhesive or were do to some other issue. These could be isolated cases that can be explained. I just don't know, so I only throw this out as information I've heard.

With the advancements in adhesives and the fact that similar bonding has been done in other industries, it's hard to understand why this failure has occurred and why it has affected several model years. To suggest why the failures have occurred would simply be speculation on my part. What I find disturbing is that I have never heard of a single XL-II owner ever being notified by Prevost or their converter that they should have their coach tested for delamination. Not notifying owners, if that is in fact true, has to be a move now regretted. Unexpected failures or other defects happen. How you handle them is critical. Touting a million mile chassis and not notifying owners with far less than a million miles has to have a negative effect on new sales and certainly resale.

BTW, Prevost initially tested glued on panels with the passenger door on late model XLs. I've never heard of a single one of them failing (knock on wood). So, adhesives can work.

RE: XLII Panel Repair Alternative - travelite - 11-10-2014 15:27

Thanks CC_Guy,

Prevost appears dedicated to adhesive attached panels. The X3-45 isn't going back to rivets. If there's an adhesive based solution for the X3 then there's a solution for the XLII.

Below is a picture of a failed panel after removal. The SS panel actually attaches to horizontal and vertical "forms" (as Prevost calls them); I assume the "forms" are mechanically attached; i.e., welded or riveted. Prevost also uses the jigs pictured below to attach the panels at the factory. These images came off their CatBase Viewer Parts CD.

[attachment=64][attachment=65][attachment=66][attachment=67]

RE: XLII Panel Repair Alternative - Arctic bird - 11-10-2014 16:18

That's a ton of adhesive on that bus! I'd have to study the prep work hard there. With that much glue, you'd think even bubblegum would hold it for 10 years or so. Interesting to see the rust in the one area, too. That one's had a leak for a while.