Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruisairs- the saga continues
05-26-2018, 11:04 (This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 11:06 by Hisham Amaral.)
RE: Cruisairs- the saga continues
(05-26-2018 09:41)Ernie Ekberg Wrote:  Both of my DOA Cruisairs are behind the front bumper where the shutters are- plenty of ventilation. I won't be running these down the road, as I have a great OTR air system for that

Ernie
The units behind the bumpers are the ones for the living room and the Kitchen, or at least that is how my H was set up. The two on street side in bay two are for the bath and the bedroom.
You may have to put two roof units in the front of the coach and get ready of the two units in behind the bumper. In stead of $8000.00 wasted on quit units spend $2000.00 on a noisy unit that works. Just think if you have to replace the roof airs 4 times you are no worst than have to redo the Cruisairs units one time, I don't think or and I will be around 40 years from now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2018, 12:24 (This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 12:25 by davidbrady.)
(05-26-2018 11:04)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  Ernie
The units behind the bumpers are the ones for the living room and the Kitchen, or at least that is how my H was set up. The two on street side in bay two are for the bath and the bedroom.
You may have to put two roof units in the front of the coach and get ready of the two units in behind the bumper. In stead of $8000.00 wasted on quit units spend $2000.00 on a noisy unit that works. Just think if you have to replace the roof airs 4 times you are no worst than have to redo the Cruisairs units one time, I don't think or and I will be around 40 years from now.

Someone needs to call Fred at http://www.aap.com for the true price of a reman-ed condensing unit. As recently as 2012 a "brand new" unit from AAP retailed at $1250. Remember the $4300 price is a Trawick price for a unit plus installation, and there's no reason to pay that amount. A condensing unit is easily installed. All that's required is the removal of four bolts and disconnecting of two lines. After the reman is bolted down, the evaporator side needs to be purged and drawn down at which point the refrigerant can be released from the precharged reman. The unit may then require a slight topping depending upon the distance to the evaporator. It doesn't cost $8K. Let's keep it real.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
05-26-2018, 12:56
(05-26-2018 12:24)davidbrady Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 11:04)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  Ernie

Someone needs to call Fred at http://www.aap.com for the true price of a reman-ed condensing unit. As recently as 2012 a "brand new" unit from AAP retailed at $1250. Remember the $4300 price is a Trawick price for a unit plus installation, and there's no reason to pay that amount. A condensing unit is easily installed. All that's required is the removal of four bolts and disconnecting of two lines. After the reman is bolted down, the evaporator side needs to be purged and drawn down at which point the refrigerant can be released from the precharged reman. The unit may then require a slight topping depending upon the distance to the evaporator. It doesn't cost $8K. Let's keep it real.
David
I am not sure what a new or remanufactured Cruisair A/C condensing unit cost and Fred at AAP will give that information.
When a condensing unit fails the system has to be completely discharged cleaned with a solution to get ready of any failed metal parts the compressor discharged into the system. Then it can be recharged with R22. David I am sure you already know that information.
05-26-2018, 13:13
(05-26-2018 12:56)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  David
I am not sure what a new or remanufactured Cruisair A/C condensing unit cost and Fred at AAP will give that information.
When a condensing unit fails the system has to be completely discharged cleaned with a solution to get ready of any failed metal parts the compressor discharged into the system. Then it can be recharged with R22. David I am sure you already know that information.

Hish,
Absolutely, let Fred (AAP) disassemble the unit and meticulously remove all debris from all surfaces. I think Fred also adds new parts in his remans offering efficiency improvements which further make it worthwhile. For the more adventurous a new compressor can be purchased for $720 but then it's up to you to sweat it in and scrub the system.

Ernie, has anyone yet looked at your faulty units? Has the failure been identified? Have run and start capacitors been ruled out? Have faults with the control board and condenser fan been ruled out?

david brady,

05-26-2018, 13:29
(05-26-2018 13:13)davidbrady Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 12:56)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  David

Hish,
Absolutely, let Fred (AAP) disassemble the unit and meticulously remove all debris from all surfaces. I think Fred also adds new parts in his remans offering efficiency improvements which further make it worthwhile. For the more adventurous a new compressor can be purchased for $720 but then it's up to you to sweat it in and scrub the system.

Ernie, has anyone yet looked at your faulty units? Has the failure been identified? Have run and start capacitors been ruled out? Have faults with the control board and condenser fan been ruled out?
David
I forget to add the receiver dryer must also be replaced at the same time.
05-26-2018, 15:02 (This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 15:02 by cmillsap.)
RE:n Cruisairs- the saga continues
Ernie,

I think David makes a good point. I would at least get some idea of what needs replacement on those Cruisairs before I would resort to re-engineering the air conditioning system. Depending on the results of an inspection, it may take a lot less parts and money to get them running properly as compared to completely replacing them with reman units @ $8600. I'm assuming you have 4 Cruisairs. I would think 3 good Cruisairs would keep your coach fairly cool in hot weather. Another option may be to rob one unit of parts (if you have at least one good compressor which is the expensive part) to fix the other unit.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
05-26-2018, 18:48
I had Ralph Fullenwider check out the DOA unit. That unit would cool a little after he added some R-22. But then it would go back to blowing hot. We could see liquid moving in sight glass. The other unit jumps around like a Mexican jumping bean and the voltage is all over the place.
I had looked at the mini splits, but am leaning more to correcting what I have and a more reasonable price point.
I will call Al next week after the holidays.
Can I pull the lower unit myself?
05-29-2018, 17:19 (This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 21:57 by travelite.)
Ernie,

I don't know how Liberty did it, but the CruisAirs behind the front bumper on my Vantare swing out on trays for removal. Maybe Hish has an idea of how difficult removal is in a Liberty.

I spoke with AAP today. The cost of a reman condensing unit is $2800. The cost of a brand new unit is $4300. I was a bit surprised over the cost of a reman. Further inquiry revealed that on Jan 2015 there was a price increase. Prior to Jan 2015 the reman price was $2500 and it remained at this price for the previoius three years. Back before 2012 the price was $2000 and that's the lowest the price ever was. So the information I had earlier of a cost of $1250 was incorrect, that must have been for a compressor replacement. With the reman comes a new drier/accumulator which is mounted outside the condensing box. In the event compressor failure sent metal fragments throughout the system, AAP does recommend backwashing the evaporator system. AAP said there's nothing to fail in the evaporator system except for the blow fan motor - there's no expansion valve.

I questioned them about cooling ability in the summer heat of the four corners (CO, AZ, NM, UT) USA. They said they've been after the converters for years to use the large rubber 90 deg radiused exhaust elbows out the bottom of the coach directed opposite to the inlet vents in the basement doors. They also said it's better if the coach remains at normal ride height at all times to minimize condensing blower fan pressure. Vantare uses these CruisAir rubber vents on all four CruisAirs; I know some other converters do not. AAP was adamant about the importance of eliminating recirculating air currents.

david brady,

05-30-2018, 08:01
thanks for the heads up on the reman vs new. there must be a good profit margin in the A/C bidness
05-30-2018, 09:02
Ernie,

Over on PC, Jack14r has compressors for sale. Maybe you'll get lucky and the compressor may not have self destructed sending debris everywhere.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)