Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit by the Barometric Sensor, DD Series 60
11-27-2017, 12:20 (This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 12:21 by davidbrady.)
Bit by the Barometric Sensor, DD Series 60
We took the bus up to visit my parents over Thanksgiving. It's a short 1000 mile round trip. On the way up I experienced a CEL (check engine light). The coach had no power and the boost gauge was reading zero and staying there. I pulled into a weigh station, idled the engine, depressed the dash DD Override switch, and read the engine codes:
CEL: 33, 43, 44
SEL: 47

33 is "Turbo sensor input voltage high".
47 is "Turbo boost pressure high".

After shutting the engine down and restarting the boost sensor was fine and we continued on our journey w/o any problems. In Harrisburg I ordered a new boost sensor and I installed it. The 500 mile drive home was uneventful until I arrived at my garage and began backing it in. At that point the boost sensor pegged to max and the CEL came on; we were lucky to make it home! I limped it into the garage and inspected the engine compartment thinking this time it's a wiring harness issue. I followed the harness and what did I find? The dreaded Barometric sensor which was a recall addition designed to help in inferring engine fires. These sensors have been problematic for years. I didn't think I had one on my coach or I would have removed it long ago. Now I need the original wiring harness to restore the direct connection from the boost sensor to the ECM. Anyone have a part number?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2017, 13:29 (This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 13:33 by cmillsap.)
RE: Bit by the Barometric Sensor, DD Series 60
(11-27-2017 12:20)davidbrady Wrote:  We took the bus up to visit my parents over Thanksgiving. It's a short 1000 mile round trip. On the way up I experienced a CEL (check engine light). The coach had no power and the boost gauge was reading zero and staying there. I pulled into a weigh station, idled the engine, depressed the dash DD Override switch, and read the engine codes:
CEL: 33, 43, 44
SEL: 47

33 is "Turbo sensor input voltage high".
47 is "Turbo boost pressure high".

After shutting the engine down and restarting the boost sensor was fine and we continued on our journey w/o any problems. In Harrisburg I ordered a new boost sensor and I installed it. The 500 mile drive home was uneventful until I arrived at my garage and began backing it in. At that point the boost sensor pegged to max and the CEL came on; we were lucky to make it home! I limped it into the garage and inspected the engine compartment thinking this time it's a wiring harness issue. I followed the harness and what did I find? The dreaded Barometric sensor which was a recall addition designed to help in inferring engine fires. These sensors have been problematic for years. I didn't think I had one on my coach or I would have removed it long ago. Now I need the original wiring harness to restore the direct connection from the boost sensor to the ECM. Anyone have a part number?

David,
Try 23536485. http://www.detroitdieselpartsdirect.com/23536485

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
11-27-2017, 14:01 (This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 14:02 by davidbrady.)
Thanks Chuck, that's a great help.

Hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving. My folks have a modest home which my family of six can easily overwhelm. It's a godsend to be able to park the bus out front and use it for sleeping and as a general getaway. Long ago I installed a 50A hookup and there's a sewer cover at the curb I use for dumping, so it turns into a very nice and convenient campground. Plus, we don't force my parents to deal with clogged bathrooms, dirty sheets and towels, and the associated washing, not to mention the smell of diapers!. My folks had twenty family members show up for the holiday. Of course, Spongebob is always a big hit! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
12-21-2017, 23:05
Got to the bus today for its monthly exercise run. First order of business was fixing the CEL/SEL issue caused by the barometric sensor. I disconnected the sensor harness, tossed the harness and the barometric sensor, and reconnected the boost sensor to its original harness connection, went for my drive and the bus performed perfectly. What an outstanding machine!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)