Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust bubbles
11-02-2017, 13:14
Rust bubbles
Continuing our search for a riveted 1997 to 2000 coach we stumbled onto a contender that fits our requirements regarding lay-out and availability of manuals, but we realized rust bubbling under paint. We were told that all 1997 buses will have rust bubbling on them and that this is no big deal. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck as I know that if you end up with rust on a car that comes from the inside out, that means the damage behind the panel is much worse. All the rust bubbles were at the bottom edges of the upper panels under windows and the front wind shield. We were assured that the window gaskets were in excellent shape and that there were no leaks. Tell me that I am wrong in my assumption that in order for rust to form there has to be trapped moisture behind the panels which tells me there are areas where water enters. If not from around the seals then from where? To us this looks like a major maintenance nightmare/expense and we think it's best to keep looking.
What say you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2017, 13:36
RE: Rust bubbles
I would run and not walk from this coach as what you described is a problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hisham Amaral's post:
cattfuu (11-03-2017)
11-03-2017, 20:38
(11-02-2017 13:36)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  I would run and not walk from this coach as what you described is a problem.
Thank you for your honesty. We really need all the help we can get!
11-27-2017, 01:24
Was this coach located just outside Nashville? I looked at one there yesterday with paint bubbles just under the windshield.
05-08-2018, 22:42
(11-27-2017 01:24)Curtis2564 Wrote:  Was this coach located just outside Nashville? I looked at one there yesterday with paint bubbles just under the windshield.

It sure was, and I'm sorry for the very late response. Did you find one without the rust in the mean time?
05-10-2018, 20:39
That was likely galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals. No, not all late model XLs will have it. FWIW, those coaches in a salt air environment are more likely to have the issue.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)