Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prevost VS Wanderlodge
07-14-2017, 16:49
Prevost VS Wanderlodge
So many of you, including you David, are former Wanderlodge owners and I'm just wondering why....

I know that they no longer make the Wanderlodge which itself is a HUGE issue for me because I don't want to be unable to get parts easily/affordably nor do I want a coach where there aren't improvements being made that I might be able to have incorporated into mine. (Read: soon I hope!)

One key thing for me has been the greater number of coaches with bunk beds in them... I have a daughter and my dream is to travel the US/Canada/Mexico for 1 to 3 years and "homeschool" her while seeing our beautiful country, meeting the people, tasting the food and enjoying the different environments from coast to coast. Now, I only want 2 bunks so an Entertainer doesn't seem to be a good fit... I want a "family" coach.

The Wanderlodge does seem to be a solid coach but not as good as a Prevost... am I correct on this?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2017, 20:47
RE: Prevost VS Wanderlodge
I have had 4 wanderlodges. Bruce Morris and I started the original wanderlodge forum a lot of wrinkles ago. I always admired Prevost.
The hook line and sinker was when I drove one a couple years ago.
The coach drives so smooth and quiet, I can hear the ringing in my ears. wanderlodges are great coaches. prevost is better and affordable. there are service centers everywhere- and you can bring your coach in for service and they know how to work on them.
I was frustrated with bluebirds as nobody would touch them, work on them, etc

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty XL Classic
4 Wanderlodges- sold
07-15-2017, 10:56 (This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 11:06 by travelite.)
Hi Mike,

Frankly, I needed more space for my growing family. The 2002 LXi just didn't fit all six of us. We had blow-up mattresses on the floor blocking access to the fridge, the bedroom, and the toilet. It just didn't work. The Vantare floor plan that I chose is their Sanibel floor plan. It's bunk bed capable. My children are still kids, so we don't have the need to do a conversion just yet, but it's part of the future plan. Vantare did many coaches with bunk beds.

The rest of the story is simple. Take any component, save the engine and transmission, of my prior 2002 LXi and compare it to what's in the H3 and the superiority of the H3 becomes obvious, from the stainless steel structure, to the suspension, tires, axles, hubs, to the towing capacity (15,000lbs, 1500lb tongue weight), and on to the house: the water pump, 120VAC plated stranded wiring, full sine wave inverters with load dominance, etc. The list goes on.

Finally there's parts and service. I simply tired of having to personally reproduce or source parts for my Bird. Try to find a bumper or a bay door for your Wanderlodge. It's next to impossible. If these components become damaged, stop the bus, pick up all the shredded parts off the roadway, and store them in your bay. You'll need them when you ask the fiberglass shop to build a new panel, and you'll wait 6 months for the job to be completed.

As wonderful as birds are, they are becoming more and more difficult to keep on the road.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
07-15-2017, 16:15
Now THIS is what I was looking for! Real comparison information from an actual experienced USER and not some dealer trying to sell me what's on the lot.....

It doesn't really matter - now does it?Cool
07-15-2017, 18:36 (This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 18:38 by cmillsap.)
Mike,

I loved my Wanderlodges but it’s an absolute fact that if you buy a Bluebird, you are basically on your own to keep it road worthy or you’re burdened with the task of finding knowledgeable service centers that are willing to work on it. There are a few leftover Bluebird dealerships that still service Birds, such as Parliament in Florida but they are disappearing fast.

You probably answered your own question when you stated that you were concerned about parts availability. David is correct, parts availability and finding knowledgeable mechanics to do repairs on a Bird is becoming more difficult as these Birds age.

I owned 3 Birds before I was forced to buy a Prevost because I wanted a coach made by a going company that has supporting service centers nationwide. I chose a Marathon conversion for the same reason. I was tired of worrying about being on the road in the Bird and having a breakdown where I could find nobody to help me get it back on the road.

When considering buying a Prevost conversion, you should know that you should take your BUS to a Prevost service center to have service or repairs done on the chassis and the other Prevost installed parts but you should take your COACH to the converter’s service centers to have all the added household items serviced. There is very little crossover service or repairs done by either Prevost or the converter. However, Marathon will do some of the Prevost related service such as oil changes and minor repairs and, if asked, they will work on a competitor’s coach but they are mostly oriented towards servicing their own stuff.

If you decide to buy a Prevost conversion, you should also be aware that several converters are out of business which means you will find it more difficult to find a repair facility that is familiar or knowledgeable with those converter’s installed items. My point is that self-reliance to fix needed repairs on the conversion items of an orphaned coach is certainly an attribute.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
07-26-2017, 18:24
I've made up my mind that I am definitely buying a Prevost...
I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at either a Marathon or a Millennium conversion...
I'm looking for a used coach, with 2 bunk beds (for two people, not four), and an interior that is more homey than glitzy.
Now, I'm not sure if I prefer the XLII or the H3-45... I am looking for whichever is more "solid and safe" and I'm not sure what the differences are between those two bodies.
Suggestions?

It doesn't really matter - now does it?Cool
07-27-2017, 20:41
Gary
I have 2003 chassis h3 45 coach that I would like to sell as we are not using the coach much after moving to Las Vegas NV. If the coach fit your needs I can email pics of the coach. It is Liberty but it is not glitzy. the 03 chassis is the same all the way to 2010 chassis with 2 front W/S the only change Prevost made the coach in 2011 is the front head lights and lower cap and the engine door and tail lights. Feel free to call me 248-935-5390 Cell if I can help.
07-28-2017, 12:00 (This post was last modified: 07-28-2017 12:02 by davidbrady.)
Way to go Mike, great choice. We're here to help you with your search. I went with the H because of the enormous basement bays which contain all my kids stuff. I also like that the H received certain updates a year before the XLII. My 2003 chassis year came from the factory with 365's tag and steer, hub centric hubs on all positions, 18K lb steer axle, and dual pane windows throughout, also it has the newer front clip which makes it look like a 2010. All of these things makes Spongebob a keeper to me.

david brady,

07-28-2017, 22:19
David
Like wise my H is also 03 chassis with hub mount wheel and 365 both the steers and the tag.
07-29-2017, 16:11
Good luck with your sale Hish. What's next for you and Sue? I can't picture you without a plane or a boat or an RV or something. Smile

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)