Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant System Green Goo
07-13-2017, 21:29 (This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 21:47 by Itchintogo.)
RE: Coolant System Green Goo
Well here is my two cents which with the current currency exchange is worth .0152 USD. Ha! Whoopee!

Back in the 80s and 90s we were all running standard green coolant that is all there was. The guys who didn't look after their coolant had problems...sometimes. I have seen cavitation take out a couple of engines. Those that looked after their SCA levels and used the release type filters and test strips rarely if ever had coolant related problems. We were hauling groceries, hardware ( a load of nails is a very freaking heavy load I can tell you) and fuel tankers. 45, 53 trailers and B trains and Super B Trains and turnpike doubles ( a 53 and a 45 hooked together) you need all the road to turn corners with that. Only on 4 lane highways with those. Often my equipment would make two trips a week over the mountains from Calgary to Vancouver. Sometimes one trip and then some Alberta stuff.

These were S60 Cat 3406 Cummins 14 litre engines that all went 130,000 miles a year or more. Engines going 400 -600 or 700 hundred thousand miles and then receiving an in frame or some kind of work. Not that many go a million miles like all the hype everyone says. Some do make it but I don't feel it is the majority. DD 13 rating today is only 50% with no major work to a million miles. I remember I had a friend with a cabover Kenworth that went forever with a 425 Cat Block 3406. That thing you couldn't stop. Two drivers every day for years. But most required something before a million.

Maybe in busses they might go far because they are not pulling the loads the trucks do. Your not tugging 120,000 pounds up and down the mountains with a set of super b trains. S60 in a Prevost or BB is virtually on holidays! You would flush and change at the related time intervals. Lots of miles on that coolant. Also if you think about it, all the 2 stroke engines and there were tons of them, they would have more vibration with all the moving parts they (supercharger etc) have and every stroke is a combustion stroke. Way more heat too.Now these days this is not the case.

On my BB I would drain the radiator every spring and fill it back up with a fresh mix. Then run the bus an exercise trip and adjust if required. Standard green stuff. If you use a release type filter not much adjusting required. That way every year you had a fresh batch of coolant with all the goodies in it in the system no mixing or contaminating at reasonable cost and available nearly anywhere if needed on the road for some reason. Easy enough. If I were Chuck that is what I would do. It will outlast Chuck and he has a few sheckles for a corned beef sandwich. Smile Or another piece of mighty fine plywood like he posted awhile back.

I have not to date heard of a bus that lost a liner because of cavitation. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened but in my years of reading forums I have never seen it come up. They usually don't go far enough. Usually something else fails and causes a problem. Hoses, water pumps, loose nut behind the wheel etc!

Just my thoughts. My Duramax came with OAT and I have flushed and changed it with OAT. But if it had come with green green it would be. I am keeping that truck forever. No particulate filters no regen or DEF. People still want to buy it all time time. She turns 11 this month. Still like new to drive. 110,000 miles so just nicely broken in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017, 12:40
RE: Coolant System Green Goo - Itchintogo - 07-13-2017 21:29

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)