Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant System Green Goo
07-02-2017, 23:28 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 00:24 by davidbrady.)
RE: Coolant System Green Goo
Chuck,

Remember when we went through all this back on WOG with Gary Spires. He explained how OAT coolants can be mixed with standard coolants but you lose the benefits that OATs provide. What you don't want to use or mix in a DD S60 is an automotive style coolant because of their high silicate and phosphate content. I'm looking for pics but I think my coolant issues existed when I bought the bus. IIRC, my site glass on the overflow tank always had a film on it. It was always a little dirty. The silica gelation (green goo) can be caused by a ton of things from mixing with automotive coolants, to running at high temps, to adding too much SCA's, to not having enough SCA, to simply being plane old and used up (which is probably my case). This is why conventional coolants are such a pain in the ass! This weekend I flushed my system with DD PowerCool ELC which is Old World Industries Final Charge; aka, the stuff that Gary always raved about. I installed a new blank filter and I drove my normal 60 mile exercise trip. I then removed the filter and cut it apart. It was spotlessly clean. So at least I know I don't have any chunks of green goo floating around and I know I don't have any other types of precipitate floating around. Judging by how it runs I think I'm fine, but I may do a little disassembly to verify. When I return from our trip I'm going to remove the transmission cooler and take it apart. Turns out it has an outer shell and an inner removable tube assembly. There's a handful of o-rings that seal one fluid from the other. These seals should be replaced anyway. (Remember what I said about Fleetguard Restore attacking seals)? The manual says to replace these seals whenever the coolant is drained, which would be every two years if you're using conventional coolant. Those of us with retarders are all overdue for seal replacement inside our transmission coolers. That's one part, among many, of the "Zeroing-Out" philosophy that everyone misses. Smile

Chuck, if I were you I'd get that conventional stuff out of there and replace it with ELC (OAT)!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017, 12:40
RE: Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017 23:28

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)