Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant System Green Goo
07-02-2017, 15:00 (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 15:29 by cmillsap.)
RE: Coolant System Green Goo
David,

What type of coolant was in it before you had Prevost change to ELC? Was it the standard green ethylene glycol? Sounds like they didn't get it all flushed out when they changed it and there is a non-compatible issue between the old and new coolant. It's very difficult to change coolant types in these busses due to all the auxiliary coolant loops involved. I don't think the average tech at Prevost is totally aware of how best to flush a coolant system on a converted bus.

I believe( if the prior coolant was green) I would flush with plain water about 3 times while making sure all the aux coolant loops are open and flushable. Then I would fill the system with the same coolant (probably green ethylene glycol) that was in there before Prevost flushed it. Then I would go ahead on my trip and check it when I got back to see if any of the green goo was gone.

David, I run standard green ethylene glycol in both my S-60 and the generator engine. When I bought the bus from Marathon, I asked about what coolant was in it in case I needed to add coolant later on. They said the standard green ethylene glycol coolant is all they use in their coaches. They had installed new coolant earlier and topped it off with the green stuff before I left. I was a bit surprised but I have to say, I never have an issue with overheating. That coolant is now over two years old which I had Prevost test it recently to see if it needed changed. They said it's still good and all they needed to do was to change filters and the metered release filter.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017, 12:40
RE: Coolant System Green Goo - cmillsap - 07-02-2017 15:00

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)