Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when to raise tag axle?
06-01-2017, 20:41 (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 23:24 by cmillsap.)
when to raise tag axle?
I was reading posts on POG yesterday and found this subject interesting. I couldn't agree more with Joe Camper's assessment that it's <quote>"quite an unnecessary accessory"<unquote>.

I have owned three busses with tag axles and seldom felt the need to raise the tag. The only times I have lifted the tag is when I found myself in a tight situation where I thought I needed to reduce the turning radius to fit into a tight space or parking spot. The times I have done so, I could count on the fingers of one hand. I probably could have maneuvered the coach into the parking space just as well with the tag down.

I never liked adding five or six tons of weight onto the drive axle not designed to carry it and drive tires that are not inflated to carry the added weight. I have never seen any tag tire sidewall damage caused by not raising the tag nor have I seen any tire damage due to scuffing. And as Joe mentioned, the tires will age out long before any occasional scuffing will pre-maturely damage or wear them out.

Further, the Prevost manual states "Never lower the tag axle while the vehicle is moving". That eliminates the ability to raise the tag while going around a tight 90 degree intersections unless you want to stop in traffic to lower the tag.

So, if the coach can be maneuvered around the many intersection's 90 degree right turns without raising the tag axle or damaging the tires, where are you going to find any more acute turns in parking lots or RV Parks that necessitate raising the tag?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
when to raise tag axle? - cmillsap - 06-01-2017 20:41
RE: when to raise tag axle? - CC_Guy - 06-03-2017, 20:33

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)