Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this cylinder and what does it do?
05-16-2017, 13:30
What is this cylinder and what does it do?
Hello,

I am brand new to your forum. I own a 1986 Prevost XL equipped with an 8V92TA.

I had an itch to go out for a short ride today. I started my bus and looked around for pre-trip issues. Oil is leaking from this little cylindrical tank mounted under the oil pan. Never noticed this leaking before. At low idle not so much, but at fast idle it will drip oil every 1-2 seconds! Trip canceled! A small line enters/exits out each end, going back and up somewhere (?), and the oil leaks from this ominous looking fitting in the center. So, I'm interested in two things if you have an idea: What is this tank and what does it do? Why is it now leaking?

I live full time in the bus and admit I do not travel in it much at all yet.

Paul
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2017, 14:59
RE: What is this cylinder and what does it do?
Hi Paul,

I don't know much about the 8V92 but I think you're describing a catch can for the air inbox slobber tubes. Does it look like the drawing in the attached pdf? If so, then drain the catch can, check the oil, and get some miles on that beast. These engines like to be used and under load. As you probably know, the 8v92 is a two-cycle engine. As such, there's always a little blow by that accumulates in the intake runners and settles in the air boxes. Slobber tubes run from the air boxes to ground. The catch can is an effort to keep your 8V from marking its territory.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Attached File(s)
.pdf  DETROIT DIESEL AIR BOX DRAIN KIT.pdf (Size: 27.25 KB / Downloads: 12)

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
05-16-2017, 19:03 (This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 19:10 by paulfedex.)
(05-16-2017 14:59)davidbrady Wrote:  Hi Paul,

I don't know much about the 8V92 but I think you're describing a catch can for the air inbox slobber tubes. Does it look like the drawing in the attached pdf? If so, then drain the catch can, check the oil, and get some miles on that beast. These engines like to be used and under load. As you probably know, the 8v92 is a two-cycle engine. As such, there's always a little blow by that accumulates in the intake runners and settles in the air boxes. Slobber tubes run from the air boxes to ground. The catch can is an effort to keep your 8V from marking its territory.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Hello David,

Yes, this is certainly the device I described and mine is mounted exactly where the diagram has it positioned for installation. What has me concerned is why I have never noticed it dripping this much before. Perhaps it has been accumulating and finally decided to take a leak? I'm just hoping it is not an indication of a seal gone bad somewhere in the blower.

Tried to attach a .jpg image in the original message, but it would not load. Perhaps there is a file size limit? Thank you for the welcome and information. Hope I can provide some input in the future.
05-16-2017, 19:46
Paul,

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you periodically start your engine and idle it or fast idle it to keep it in good running order. This may have caused more than the typical slobber out the slobber tubes. A cold engine that hasn't been run to normal oil operating temps will slobber more. Running to normal oil operating temps requires getting the bus out on the highway for a good 50 to 60 mile ride. I think once you get it running more regularly you'll get a whole lot less slobber.

BTW, I think you couldn't post a pic because you just joined and I hadn't yet promoted you to a "Full Member". You're a full member now so you should be able to upload pics.

david brady,

05-16-2017, 20:04
I had that on my old 88 Bird. My old 83 with the 6v92 had that canister, but the bottom plug was missing- so much for oil containment

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty XL Classic
4 Wanderlodges- sold
05-16-2017, 20:18 (This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 20:26 by paulfedex.)
(05-16-2017 20:04)ERNIEE Wrote:  I had that on my old 88 Bird. My old 83 with the 6v92 had that canister, but the bottom plug was missing- so much for oil containment

Hi Erniee,

No plug on mine either. Don't know if there ever was.

(05-16-2017 19:46)davidbrady Wrote:  Paul,

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you periodically start your engine and idle it or fast idle it to keep it in good running order. This may have caused more than the typical slobber out the slobber tubes. A cold engine that hasn't been run to normal oil operating temps will slobber more. Running to normal oil operating temps requires getting the bus out on the highway for a good 50 to 60 mile ride. I think once you get it running more regularly you'll get a whole lot less slobber.

BTW, I think you couldn't post a pic because you just joined and I hadn't yet promoted you to a "Full Member". You're a full member now so you should be able to upload pics.

David,

You are absolutely correct. That is exactly what I have been doing. My tires are aged-out (10 years!) and I am reluctant to drive anywhere but the tire dealer. Saving up for that wonderful purchase!

Paul
05-16-2017, 22:35
Paul,

if picture uploading works I sure would like to see a few of your '86. That's a very early model. Did you do the conversion?

david brady,

05-17-2017, 00:25
(05-16-2017 22:35)davidbrady Wrote:  Paul,

if picture uploading works I sure would like to see a few of your '86. That's a very early model. Did you do the conversion?

I am the third owner and have lived in it for three years. The conversion was done on a new shell by Hickox Coach Co in Casey, IL. It has changed a bit over the years, but we have all left it with the original 80s theme. Yes, the original mauve carpet is here.

Try this link.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/paul888...evost%20XL
[-] The following 3 users Like paulfedex's post:
Abmcintosh (11-25-2017), davidbrady (05-17-2017), Jtaylor41 (08-09-2017)
05-17-2017, 12:15 (This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 12:22 by davidbrady.)
Wow, that's beautiful Paul. Truly a time capsule. Thanks for sharing. I love the panel of analog gauges and the glass cabinet doors and the brass trimmed drawers and cabinets. Clearly it's a quality conversion. It's fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing. Smile

BTW, the side aisle has always been one of my favorite floor plans. Lots of privacy.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)