Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear New PrevostGurus Members
05-13-2017, 19:37 (This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 20:17 by cmillsap.)
RE: Dear New PrevostGugurs Members
(05-13-2017 18:06)mpage Wrote:  Hi All,

I registered a little over a year ago and have been slowly learning about the Prevost coaches. I currently own a 1997 BMC 37' coach. Right now I'm splitting my time between Arizona and Florida due to work, but soon I'll be permanently relocating back to Phoenix. The BMC has two roof a/c units which during the heat of the Phoenix summer need to run full-time on high (noisy) to have a chance at keeping the coach comfortable.
.Four roof 13000/15000 BTU air units are needed to keep a 45 foot Prevost cool in temps running to 100*F. When it's over 100 degrees they have to run a lot to keep the bus cool enough to be comfortable.

[
]Is Prevost OTR air a must for the southwest climate]
][]The problem with OTR air is it only works when the engine is running as the compressor is belt driven off the engine. Really designed to cool the bus while traveling
. [/color]]

What about 3 versus 4 cruise air units?

I would want 4 cruise air units in a 45' bus and even then they are not real efficient in 100* plus weather.

I also saw a coach listed recently with 2 cruise airs and an r-vac unit. Is R-vac the same as OTR air?
I'm not familiar with an R-vac so I have no opinion on them.

I can open a separate thread on a/c if that's more appropriate? [/color
]Cruisair units are quieter than the roof units but are more expensive to maintain and are less efficient. Four roof A/Cs are my preference. Some of the newer models are less noisy than the older models. Further, they are relatively cheap to replace compared to Cruisairs. I think a 15000 BTU unit is less than $1000 to replace. I've seen many star coaches with 5 and as many as 6 ac units on the roof. With my 4 roof units set-up, I usually only need to run 2 or 3 until we're setting in really hot weather. I can run 2 units off the inverters while traveling. With 2 units running (salon & bedroom) along with the dash air, it stays very comfortable throughout the coach. The radiant heat from the engine will heat up the bedroom and make it uncomfortable to sleep in after a long days run. So, running the ac in the bedroom while traveling keeps everything cool and comfortable and ready to give you a good night's rest.
Thanks,
Mark
Phoenix, AZ / Orlando, FL
Looking for my first Prevost

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like cmillsap's post:
davidbrady (05-14-2017), mpage (05-16-2017)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dear New PrevostGugurs Members - cmillsap - 05-13-2017 19:37

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)