Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan Belts Check Valve
04-21-2017, 02:19
Fan Belts Check Valve
After a few days of my coach sitting, the mini air bags on the fan gearbox would slowly deflate causing the 3 fan drive belts to become slacken. This made it easy to throw a fan belt when starting the engine. To lower the chances of that happening, I would wait until my Prevost auxiliary air gage was at 60 psi or more before I would put the engine on high-idle as I built system air pressure.

A common reason this happens is because the check valve in the air supply line feeding the mini air bags is no longer working properly. To solve the problem, when I was at Prevost having my bus serviced, I had them install a new check valve in the air line.

In the engine compartment and directly behind the belt tensioner knob is the air pressure regulator valve. The check valve is located on the air inlet side of the pressure regulator valve. It should be, if original, a 1/8" MNPT x 1/8" MNPT that should cost less than $20 or you can get one from Prevost for about $49.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2017, 21:02
RE: Fan Belts Check Valve
(04-21-2017 02:19)cmillsap Wrote:  After a few days of my coach sitting, the mini air bags on the fan gearbox would slowly deflate causing the 3 fan drive belts to become slacken. This made it easy to throw a fan belt when starting the engine. To lower the chances of that happening, I would wait until my Prevost auxiliary air gage was at 60 psi or more before I would put the engine on high-idle as I built system air pressure.

A common reason this happens is because the check valve in the air supply line feeding the mini air bags is no longer working properly. To solve the problem, when I was at Prevost having my bus serviced, I had them install a new check valve in the air line.

In the engine compartment and directly behind the belt tensioner knob is the air pressure regulator valve. The check valve is located on the air inlet side of the pressure regulator valve. It should be, if original, a 1/8" MNPT x 1/8" MNPT that should cost less than $20 or you can get one from Prevost for about $49.

Chuck
When we bought our first Marathon coach the tech told me not to put the engine on hi idle until the accessory air pressure is higher than 60PSI if not you risk throwing a the fan belt. I have always followed his advice always stay at low idle or at about 600 RPM till I build 60 PSI on the top gauge of the air system then I go to 1000 RPM.
Hope you and Tela made it home OK.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)