Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan Hubs
04-05-2017, 13:59 (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 14:00 by travelite.)
Fan Hubs
Folks,

I decided to split this out into it's own thread:

It's always a good idea to periodically check your fan hub. I think Prevost's now on their third generation fan hub. With the tensioning air bags dumped, and the engine stop switch thrown in the engine compartment, spin the fan 360 deg in it's normal direction of travel. It should spin freely with no noise and no resistance. In my opinion, the fan drive system on a Prevost is far better than the hydraulic system we had in our Blue Birds, but we do need to keep an eye on the fan hub. Part of my pre-departure is to freewheel the fan looking for unimpeded motion. I had my hub replaced up in Redmond, BC when I bought the coach. If you have a fan hub mechanical failure you're SOL, but if you have an electrical failure you can lock the hub so the fan spins constantly. It's a temporary fix designed to get you to the next service center. On the XL I think one locking bolt is located in the center of the fan shaft on the engine side; I'm not sure where the other one is. Remove them and screw them it into the locking plate on the clutch. There are two locking plate/tabs located 180 deg relative to each other:

If you have a second generation fan hub like mine, the four red capped bolts in the attached pic are the locking bolts. In case of electrical failure remove the red bolts and screw them into the 4 threaded holes in the hub (two of the holes are shown):

The third generation has a stud, nut and plate. You unlock the plate and slide it over:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2017, 10:15
RE: Fan Hubs
I have not seen a 3rd generation hub yet. If you have an earlier hub it can have 2, 3 or 4 locking bolts/tabs.

Keep in mind these fixed locking tabs were designed to just get you to a service center. If you have to lock your hub I highly recommend that before you stop the engine that you go to the engine and release the air from the belt bags. This will prevent the tabs from having to stop the mass of the fan.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)