Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine cool down
03-11-2017, 00:46
Engine cool down
As many of us here on site are prior Wanderlodge owners I was wondering what everyone was doing for engine cool down

In my prior 8V92 Detroit in my prior Wanderlodge I had warpage of my exhaust header due to the prior owner not cooling down engine after long hours on road. I would watch pyrometers and engine temp to cool and then shut down engine. This avoided warpage of the headers.

With the S60 and Prevost's lack of awesome gauges like Bluebird provided, what is a good practice to adhere too, and any gauge recommendations to look at?

William Jensen
1993 PT40 Wanderlodge
2001 Liberty XLII S60
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2017, 11:50 (This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 11:50 by Hisham Amaral.)
RE: Engine cool down
(03-11-2017 00:46)Maudi2001 Wrote:  As many of us here on site are prior Wanderlodge owners I was wondering what everyone was doing for engine cool down

In my prior 8V92 Detroit in my prior Wanderlodge I had warpage of my exhaust header due to the prior owner not cooling down engine after long hours on road. I would watch pyrometers and engine temp to cool and then shut down engine. This avoided warpage of the headers.

With the S60 and Prevost's lack of awesome gauges like Bluebird provided, what is a good practice to adhere too, and any gauge recommendations to look at?

William Jensen
1993 PT40 Wanderlodge
2001 Liberty XLII S60

William
I keep my engine high idle on for 5 minutes after I stop to let the engine cool down and allow the turbo to cool as well. It worked for me with 97 Bluebird, 06 M 450 and both the Prevost the 04 XL2 and now 03 H345. Welcome to Prevost you can also get information from Prevost Service Center around the country unlike what was available for us with the Bluebird.
03-11-2017, 12:05 (This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 13:20 by davidbrady.)
Hi William,

I do the same as Hish, but I do consider the long coast off the exit ramp and the puttering around the CG, rest area, or fuel stop to be part of the cool down.

My manual says 2 minutes should be sufficient. Manuals can be found over here:

https://techpub.prevostcar.com/en/manual...language]=

"Allow engine to idle for at least two minutes before shutting engine OFF. This insures that the turbine speed drops and allows time for the engine exhaust gas temperature to drop to about 300 F (150 C);"

I always learn something new as a re-read the assorted Prevost publications for my coach. For instance, the same manual for my coach says this:

"Caution: Do not shut OFF engine when running above normal idle."

and this:

"Caution: Do not press accelerator pedal before starting. This could result in an electronic control unit fault and degrade the fuel system control."

I think the only gauge that's missing in my H3 as compared to my 2002 Wanderlodge LXi is the EGT. My H3's message display center will give me battery voltage, transmission temperature, and oil temperature. I've adopted a different mindset since owning my Prevost. I trust the Prevost more than I trusted my Wanderlodge. I'm relying more on the DDEC IV and other Prevost systems to do the right thing and to tell me if something's wrong versus my old ways of adding layers of gauges via Silverleaf and such. Of course, I still scan my gauges but I find we can easily be distracted from driving if we present too much info to the driver. Just my philosophy. Smile

Tell us more about your Prevost experience. How long have you had it?

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
03-11-2017, 14:59
David and William
when I was flying a turbo charged airplane after landing I checked the ITT temp and idled the engine until ITT drops to 700 F, but unfortunately we do not have the ITT gauge on our coaches but we have to depend on a clock and thus I use the 5 minute idle for cool down.
If I have a long ramp to where I stopping and I am slow and at reduced power "under 1000rpm" I also reduce the 5 minute idle time before I shut the engine off.
03-11-2017, 20:10
David and all:

Thanks for the tips on cool down. Always concious of wanting to cool the turbo, and block down after driving for long periods.

For an update on my coach that David inquired about:

I had my Wanderlodge from 2003 to Early 2016. We decided to go with a prevost due to lack of service facilities for the Wanderlodge.
I had service done at Parliment several times, but was a 5 hour drive one way to get service and had to show up during week. That meant taking off work to get to Tamps, and locally the truck shops do not know how to service that type of RV.

We shopped at Parliment, Liberty, and Marathon here in Florida, and of course looked at Vantare units too. We found a non slide unit that was at Liberty in Stuart, Florida. We are the third owners of the unit and all the prior owners did a great job of taking care of the unit. They had a folder of all the service that was done on the coach, and always at a Prevost service center. Since service was an issue for us prior, Liberty was a great choice for us as it is only a hour from us. We can leave the unit for service on my time, and they service it. Then can pick it up on my time. I am still working so this allows me to leave it after their service hours, and pick it up too. Liberty basically "zero'd" the coach out for us except for the tires which were 2015 codes.

We got the coach in Sept of 2016. We have done a lot of short trips in the state, but none out of state till next month. Love having the OTR AC for here in the south. I always had to run the gennie on the Bluebird to keep it cool. Now with the Prevost, I run pole to pole mostly as it is an all electric unit. This takes a little getting used to when I always had a propane refer. I have to find reasons now to run the gennie just to exercise it.

The unit has double front couches, which were made by Villa furniture for Liberty. They are not functional as sleeping quarters. I am currently having Villa make 2 new couches for the front. One will be a jackknife couch, and the other just single couch with removable back cushions to make twin bed. They have to be custom made as Liberty has put some heater exchangers, DVD, and the Bose system under both couches. And of course the wire chases/AC that run on the sides had to be accomadated. Once the couches come in from California, then I will be taking the coach to Liberty to get the front carpet removed, wood floor placed, and new couches installed. This is about 3 months out as Villa is backed up with custom orders.

Thanks for reading about my new "mania" as my wife calls it. I did not think the ride could be any better than a Bluebird, but man do I love to drive that Prevost. It is too quiet almost??

William and Susan Jensen
2001 Liberty XLII 45, non slide.
Deerfield Beach, Florida
03-12-2017, 12:57 (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 15:17 by davidbrady.)
Thanks for sharing your experience William. Growing up in Pennsylvania my friend's dad had a mid-70's Forward Control. It was always impeccably clean and polished. When this sort of thing sinks in a young age you're hooked. I knew my first bus had to be a Wanderlodge. I considered nothing else. I dove in head first buying a 2002 LXi from Parliament Coach and naming it Smokey, after a Smokey Robinson concert where I courted my lovely wife, Suzana. I bought the LXi in 2004 and owned it for 10 years, and for 10 years I did the last 10% of engineering which the Blue Bird factory so kindly leaves for its new owners. My wife and I, pre-children, enjoyed the heck out of that bus. I was in heaven because I like an engineering challenge and I spent lots of time, money, and elbow grease bringing my LXi up to my standards. We attended RITV's, visited the Birds Nest several times per year, and had service done at the Factory. We always had a great time returning to the birth place of Smokey in Fort Valley, Ga, sitting down to a complimentary lunch with the hosts at the Bird's Nest. It was phenomenal experience and I'm very grateful for having been able to participate in some of it, even if it was the tail end. I feel for the folks who are new Wanderlodge owner's but never had the chance to experience the factory. The factory created a Family. We'll never see it again, and it's obvious why. Blue Bird took 45 years to build that Family and it was centered over one brand. Prevost's are unquestionably better than a Wanderlodge, and the many converters do at least as well and generally surpass what we find in a Wanderlodge. The Prevost Service Centers are a phenomenal corporate experience, but the family part is missing. We have a fragmented set of converters. The many converters will never have the brand cohesiveness that Wanderlodge took 45 years to build. When the Factory went belly-up a large part of why I owned a Wanderlodge and why I put up with its many shortcomings went with it. Thank goodness for Prevost and for the many high quality converters we get to choose from!

david brady,

03-12-2017, 20:33
David:

I was able to stay at the "Bird's Nest" several times before it was closed. Liked to stop there to get knick knack parts for the RV.
I know your posts from the "WOG" and the infamous "Brady Seal" that you designed for your slides.

It is great to have someone like you with great knowledge on the systems. I'll try to do my best, but am more of the driveway mechanic. Don't have space, pit, or heavy mechanical equipment to fix these big rigs.

We started in a 22 foot Travco 1976 year in 1985, moved up to 32 foot Travco, and then to the Bluebird.

If you ever go to the RV Hall of Fame Museum in Elkart, In, there is a 32 foot Travco on display. That was my fathers and we drove it all around the country, mexico, canada. It is in original condition from carpets, to window coverings. only thing changed out was the quadrophonic 8 track in the dash. We donated it to the museum in 2011. 3 different 440 engines went into the coach with multiple miles on the coach. Always stored inside when not on the road in a climate controlled garage.

William Jensen
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maudi2001's post:
davidbrady (03-13-2017)
03-13-2017, 08:27
Looks like there are quite a few of us that have migrated to Prevost from the Wanderlodge ownership.

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty XL Classic
4 Wanderlodges- sold
03-13-2017, 15:33
It's a slow growth Ernie, but it sure beats watching a forum whither away. I think we ex-Wanderlodge owners approach Prevost ownership from a different perspective. We certainly bring above average self-help, self reliance, and resourcefulness to the mix. I know I appreciate my Prevost more having first owned a Wanderlodge. Of course nothing's perfect, but as we all know, it's the flaws that give it character.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)