Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lifeline alternative: Odyssey PC1800-FT
03-16-2017, 14:38 (This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 16:56 by davidbrady.)
RE: Lifeline alternative: Odyssey PC1800-FT
Hey Gary,

Long time no hear. Hope all is well. Last I heard you were looking at motorhomes. Have you bought anything?

You know the average motorcoach owner. He's basically a luddite! LOL! It seems the only folks, with few exceptions, who are into the newer battery technology are owners who just bought new, or the owners of old GM buses and the like that need a serious upgrade of all systems. Having hung out with busnuts for the past 15 years I've sensed that most of us want tried and proven technologies. We want stuff that works and that lasts, and if we can do it with Apollo space program technology, so much the better. No one wants to be stuck at their favorite boondocking location nursing their failing hi-tech Li-Ion battery management system. I agree, the Li-ion stuff has markedly better performance, but it's hardly the quantum leap we need to convince luddites to switch technology. I love technology but I can certainly side with the folks who've had enough of their Crestron/AMX/RTI concoctions and their banks of Allen Bradley PLC's. Most folks really don't want RV to stand for Ruined Vacation. Also, one of the problems with new technology is the marketing and service philosophy that comes with it. In the old days there were things called service manuals and independent repair shops. Nowadays manufacturers tend to follow the Apple model which means no field serviceability, voided warranties if you open the box, and no service manuals or schematics. This is why I'm so valiantly pursuing my Trace SW PowerBoard effort. The Trace is a fully field serviceable inverter that I don't want to let go of.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2017, 18:11
(03-16-2017 14:38)davidbrady Wrote:  Hey Gary,

Long time no hear. Hope all is well. Last I heard you were looking at motorhomes. Have you bought anything?

You know the average motorcoach owner. He's basically a luddite! LOL! It seems the only folks, with few exceptions, who are into the newer battery technology are owners who just bought new, or the owners of old GM buses and the like that need a serious upgrade of all systems. Having hung out with busnuts for the past 15 years I've sensed that most of us want tried and proven technologies. We want stuff that works and that lasts, and if we can do it with Apollo space program technology, so much the better. No one wants to be stuck at their favorite boondocking location nursing their failing hi-tech Li-Ion battery management system. I agree, the Li-ion stuff has markedly better performance, but it's hardly the quantum leap we need to convince luddites to switch technology. I love technology but I can certainly side with the folks who've had enough of their Crestron/AMX/RTI concoctions and their banks of Allen Bradley PLC's. Most folks really don't want RV to stand for Ruined Vacation. Also, one of the problems with new technology is the marketing and service philosophy that comes with it. In the old days there were things called service manuals and independent repair shops. Nowadays manufacturers tend to follow the Apple model which means no field serviceability, voided warranties if you open the box, and no service manuals or schematics. This is why I'm so valiantly pursuing my Trace SW PowerBoard effort. The Trace is a fully field serviceable inverter that I don't want to let go of.

Ha! I'm sticking with my Lifeline AGMs. Does that make me a "Luddite" or merely a "Technophobe" LOL

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
03-22-2017, 18:21 (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 18:25 by Itchintogo.)
Hey Chuck how about "technodite"? Ha ha! Just as long as your not a luddicrite!

I bought new tires and batteries for my fifth wheel and for the Duramax too last spring so I guess I am one too! Need to get some use out of those David.

Being West Coast I hesitate on longer units, I yearn for a coach regularly but every time I have my unit out I find myself some place a 40 ft coach could never go. Lots of narrow coastal roads here and we Canucks don't have all the big rig places you guy do! Maybe a FC? Or 4106? Smile

But I think Lithium has come along way and is worth a second look. Surprising how many people have several years under their belt with them especially in the marine sector and they argue the opposite of David as they claim better reliability when at sea. Less generator hours better solar recharge and better load capacities.

Loved the thread about CEO's too by the way. Very enlightening and familiar. You should "tweet" a link to that! I'd follow a NPR Prevost twitter account!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)