Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement Trace SW FET Power Board
05-25-2019, 16:19 (This post was last modified: 05-25-2019 18:55 by travelite.)
RE: Replacement Trace SW FET Power Board
I populated my PowerBoard with MOSFETS, resistors, and capacitors. I inserted my three Driver Boards which power the MOSFET H-Bridges. I then placed my Power Board assembly into the Trace heatsink and I wired up the three transformers, the 24VDC battery bank, and the control board ribbon cable. I powered up the inverter and turned on Inverting, and... It works! Pictured below are pics of my setup. If you zoom in on the one you can see the surface mount parts on my Driver Cards. The output of my Rigol Digitial Oscilloscope shows the sine waveform output of my Power Board in my test setup!

I now have complete Gerber files for the PCB boards and I have bill of materials for each board. The next step is to shop around for a good fabrication price.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2019, 10:38
Wow! You are the man Smile How can we help David ? What do we need a small TV repair shop ?

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
05-26-2019, 12:12
That's great news! It sounds like your pilot/prototypes are complete and your ready for a production run.

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
05-26-2019, 18:58 (This post was last modified: 05-27-2019 11:28 by davidbrady.)
(05-26-2019 10:38)cubeman Wrote:  Wow! You are the man Smile How can we help David ? What do we need a small TV repair shop ?

(05-26-2019 12:12)Jerry_94110 Wrote:  That's great news! It sounds like your pilot/prototypes are complete and your ready for a production run.

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun and it really didn't take that long. I could use some ideas to overcome my last obstacle. I need busbars on the PCB to carry the high amperage. I like these by E-Fab, but they're expensive. My busbars are about 12" long by 0.5" high, and are made of 20 gauge copper sheet metal. They probably need to be water jet cut and then plated. A quantity of 100 from E-Fab comes to $20 each. Each board requires 4 which comes to $80 per PCB. Ouch! I'm open to ideas.

It is thrilling to see it actually work!

david brady,

06-14-2019, 18:29
I got my hands on the last piece of the puzzle: plated copper busbars for the Power Boards. The busbars are made E-Fab, they're high quality, and I got them at a good price. I now have everything I need to start building complete Power Board assemblies.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

david brady,

06-14-2019, 19:29 (This post was last modified: 06-14-2019 20:10 by cmillsap.)
(06-14-2019 18:29)davidbrady Wrote:  I got my hands on the last piece of the puzzle: plated copper busbars for the Power Boards. The busbars are made E-Fab, they're high quality, and I got them at a good price. I now have everything I need to start building complete Power Board assemblies.
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin The community (especially the inverter repair shops) really needs these boards to keep our Trace 4024's up and running. They are scarce as hen's teeth, if you can even find one. David, the market is going to demand substantial quantities. Hopefully, you can find a small company to assemble them for you.

These are great inverters and I would hate to have to change mine out. I worry about them as they are 16years old, so I watch their loading very closely. This hot weather in AZ really gives them a workout. Running 3 A/Cs with 2 on the same inverter in 100*F+ weather will sometimes pull the voltage down to as low as 112V and pulls 32A. If that happens and in an effort to keep inverters running cooler, I shut off one of the A/Cs to get voltage back up on that leg to at least 117V. Two A/Cs will keep my coach cooled to 79*F to 80*F in 100*+ temps. We're plenty cool and comfy at that temp.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
06-14-2019, 22:19 (This post was last modified: 06-14-2019 22:22 by davidbrady.)
(06-14-2019 19:29)cmillsap Wrote:  
(06-14-2019 18:29)davidbrady Wrote:  I got my hands on the last piece of the puzzle: plated copper busbars for the Power Boards. The busbars are made E-Fab, they're high quality, and I got them at a good price. I now have everything I need to start building complete Power Board assemblies.
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin The community (especially the inverter repair shops) really needs these boards to keep our Trace 4024's up and running. They are scarce as hen's teeth, if you can even find one. David, the market is going to demand substantial quantities. Hopefully, you can find a small company to assemble them for you.

These are great inverters and I would hate to have to change mine out. I worry about them as they are 16years old, so I watch their loading very closely. This hot weather in AZ really gives them a workout. Running 3 A/Cs with 2 on the same inverter in 100*F+ weather will sometimes pull the voltage down to as low as 112V and pulls 32A. If that happens and in an effort to keep inverters running cooler, I shut off one of the A/Cs to get voltage back up on that leg to at least 117V. Two A/Cs will keep my coach cooled to 79*F to 80*F in 100*+ temps. We're plenty cool and comfy at that temp.

Thanks Chuck. My next task is to shop around for good pricing on fabrication and assembly; my second next job is to get the word out to the various RV repair centers and inverter repair centers. So far, with the exception of Donnie Myers at DMRV, this forum is the only outlet I've had. I need to get on the horn and if any of you out there have any ideas I'd very much like to hear them Thanks! Oh!, also, I'm not stopping here. The Power Boards are the obvious first choice for replacement, but the control boards aren't far behind, and that's my next project.

david brady,

06-21-2019, 20:29
(04-30-2019 17:42)Jerry_94110 Wrote:  Hi David,

If you are interested, you can give Rhudney Edades a ring at Ayala Materials. He is a one guy shop that will take your docs and get the board built for you. He has arrangements with several CM's in the area from prototypes to high volume runs.

His contact info is rhudney_edades@ayalamaterialservices.com.

Hi Jerry,

I've been working with Rhudney at Ayala. Thanks for the contact. He's be phenomenal. Makes me yearn for my days in Silicon Valley where we could actually get things done, as opposed to the hills of North Carolina! LOL!

david brady,

06-24-2019, 17:39
Great new!!. Rhudney is a great to work with. Very "can do" attitude.

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
07-03-2019, 19:29 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2019 21:12 by travelite.)
Today I gave Rhudney, at Ayala Material Services, a purchase order, printed circuit card gerber files, bill of materials, and drawings to manufacture 5 complete power board assemblies for our beloved Trace SW4024 inverters. I'll have boards in my hands in a couple of weeks and available to those in need shortly after that. Now I get to play with some software! Smile

david brady,

[-] The following 1 user Likes davidbrady's post:
Robert Britton (07-09-2019)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)