Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement Trace SW FET Power Board
01-22-2019, 11:55
RE: Replacement Trace SW FET Power Board
These boards measure 14"x3.5" and they contain the 52 MOSFETS that form the three H-bridges that power the transformers in inverting, 24VDC to 120VAC, and in converting, 120VAC to 24VDC. There's one board per SW4024.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2019, 01:50
(01-22-2019 11:55)davidbrady Wrote:  These boards measure 14"x3.5" and they contain the 52 MOSFETS that form the three H-bridges that power the transformers in inverting, 24VDC to 120VAC, and in converting, 120VAC to 24VDC. There's one board per SW4024.

David
You are on your way, is the new board the same size as the existing board in the SW4024?
01-26-2019, 17:16
Hi Hish,

It is identical in size. I mentioned there are 3 driver cards that drive the 3 H-bridges. I sent them off for PCB fab too. I expect to get them back this coming week, then I can solder on some components and test the entire assembly. The boards were $33 each, but that's for 1 ounce copper, which is suitable for low power testing, but for the final 4KW device I'll need 4 oz PCBs for the PowerBoards, and 3oz for the driver cards. I'll have to order around 15 of them to keep the per board cost down, so I want to do as much test as possible with the cheap $33 each 1 once PCBs. It's exciting to get the boards. I'm looking forward to populating them and plugging them in! It's taken a while because I spent a bunch of time on the software side.

david brady,

01-27-2019, 23:54
(01-26-2019 17:16)davidbrady Wrote:  Hi Hish,

It is identical in size. I mentioned there are 3 driver cards that drive the 3 H-bridges. I sent them off for PCB fab too. I expect to get them back this coming week, then I can solder on some components and test the entire assembly. The boards were $33 each, but that's for 1 ounce copper, which is suitable for low power testing, but for the final 4KW device I'll need 4 oz PCBs for the PowerBoards, and 3oz for the driver cards. I'll have to order around 15 of them to keep the per board cost down, so I want to do as much test as possible with the cheap $33 each 1 once PCBs. It's exciting to get the boards. I'm looking forward to populating them and plugging them in! It's taken a while because I spent a bunch of time on the software side.
This would be good think to have to keep these great inverters run. As it is now if this board is dead you have a boat anchor for an inverter. Good job David
02-09-2019, 13:30 (This post was last modified: 02-09-2019 13:33 by davidbrady.)
This week I received my three Driver Board PCB's. $33 each. There's three MOSFET H-Bridge's on the Power Board and each H-Bridge get's it's own Driver Board. Now the fun part of soldering on a ton of components and low power testing; basically, testing waveforms.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

david brady,

04-25-2019, 00:12
David,
While researching for replacement parts for one of my 4024's that let out it's magic smoke this week I found this thread. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that someone is working towards creating new power boards and driver cards for these units. I'm now cautiously optimistic that I may be able to keep my Trace inverters and won't need to replace them with something that won't be as capable or as plug and play with my '02 Marathon H3. I'm curious if you've had the opportunity to complete testing of the prototype boards and the update on this project. Thanks for taking this on!
04-25-2019, 14:45
Hi PrevostRomeo and welcome to the forum.

Fully assembled MOSFET driver cards are expected in a few days. Concurrently with testing them I'm having version 2.0 of my Power Board PCB manufactured and assembled. Once all this is tested then I'll be on the hunt for a low cost manufacturer and assembler. The biggest problem I have are the countless interruptions from life in general. I don't know if I'll meet your time frame, but it's becoming clear that boards are starting to fail and the pressure is on to provide replacements. For a while there was no real demand, but now I'm starting to see it. This gives me great motivation!

david brady,

[-] The following 1 user Likes davidbrady's post:
PrevostRomeo (04-25-2019)
04-25-2019, 14:58
Hi Dave, I work in electronic manufacturing. I work with two CM's in the S.F. Bay Area that I can have quote if needed. I also work with a prototype house, but their price is a bit more, since they do all hand placements. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
04-25-2019, 15:25
Hi Jerry,

Thanks! I appreciate the help. Below is a pic of the Power Board. You can see where a few of the FETs are attached. The holes are 3.6mm diameter for 10 AWG tinned/stranded wire. These wires carry 24VDC in/out and +-24VAC in/out from the H-Bridges prior to stepping up by the three transformers. One of the items that needs to be worked out is finding a supplier for 10AWG tinned wire and finding a CM that's willing to solder them in. I'll inevitably do some final assembly, but I'm trying to offload as much as I can. Maybe you have some insight.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

david brady,

04-25-2019, 18:54
I will check around.

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)