Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inverter Topologies
01-20-2017, 11:58
Inverter Topologies
Folks,

The evolution of DC-AC inverter technology over the years has left many of us dazed and confused. The attached article from Trace Engineering (circa 2000) describes each topology along with their advantages and disadvantages. Amazing that after 23 years the venerable Trace SW series still competes well with the latest offerings from Magnum, Outback, Victron and the others in the mobile market. In fact, the only inverter that really competes with the SW in terms of surge capability, total harmonic distortion, idle power consumption, voltage regulation, and efficiency is the Hybrid style inverter, such as Magnum's MSH4024M. The only real relative disadvantage of the Trace SW technology is cost to produce.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  2000 Inverter technology.pdf (Size: 321.91 KB / Downloads: 5)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2017, 23:18 (This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 23:18 by Hisham Amaral.)
RE: Inverter Topologies
(01-20-2017 11:58)davidbrady Wrote:  Folks,

The evolution of DC-AC inverter technology over the years has left many of us dazed and confused. The attached article from Trace Engineering (circa 2000) describes each topology along with their advantages and disadvantages. Amazing that after 23 years the venerable Trace SW series still competes well with the latest offerings from Magnum, Outback, Victron and the others in the mobile market. In fact, the only inverter that really competes with the SW in terms of surge capability, total harmonic distortion, idle power consumption, voltage regulation, and efficiency is the Hybrid style inverter, such as Magnum's MSH4024M. The only real relative disadvantage of the Trace SW technology is cost to produce.
David
Sooner or later The old Trace inverters will not be available thus those of us who have them in our coaches will be going to the Magnums, Outback's and others for replacement.
I and hope not too soon for me.
01-26-2017, 01:07
RE: Inverter Topologies
That's true Hish, but it's such a rugged design it really deserves to have some enterprising individual make replacement parts for it. From what I hear there's only a dozen or so NOS power boards and control boards in existence. I want to make sure that these inverters live long into the future. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)