Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Trace SW4024 Inverters in a Vantare
12-17-2016, 13:35 (This post was last modified: 12-17-2016 13:37 by davidbrady.)
Four Trace SW4024 Inverters in a Vantare
Folks,

I picked up a few Xantrex SW4024MC2 inverters on ebay. I'm now equipped to handle coach inverter replacements when necessary and to stage my workshop with a workbench test inverter. I'm working on integrating Trace meter readouts and Trace configuration into my openHAB control environment. I'm thinking that it'd be neat to have four inverters in my Vantare. I'd have two parallelized pairs. Each would drive one 120VAC leg. I'd like to eliminate the need to prune loads when switching power sources. With four inverters I'd have 16KW of inverter power, just shy of my generator's 17.5KW and well above pole power, and I'd potentially have 480 amps of charging capacity for future Li-Ion batteries. It'd be very cool to pull into a campground, power off the generator, let the four inverters pickup, and then plug into shore power, all seamlessly and without pruning loads. Those four running cruisairs wouldn't know the difference. It'd also be very cool to charge a Li-Ion battery bank at a rate closer to the technology than to the technology of AGMs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2016, 14:43 (This post was last modified: 12-22-2016 14:48 by davidbrady.)
RE: Four Trace SW4024 Inverters in a Vantare
I received my inverters and I immediately stripped off the covers to have a look at the condition of the circuit boards, relays, and transformers. The insides looked good on all three. The three transformers have the usual signs of use, i.e., a slight discoloration of the 120VAC wires and some thermal stress of the insulation. I've been told by the experts at Inverter Service Center, White House, TN, that the condition of the transformers looks normal. I quickly realized I'm not equipped at the house to fully test the inverters. Also, I do have a 30 day return policy on the purchase so I am under a time constraint to have them powered up and functionally tested, so I loaded all three 110 lb inverters into my Toyota and drove them 320 miles to White House Tn to have them functionally tested. I made my trip yesterday so word is still out on the condition of the inverters. White House is 10 miles north of the Prevost Service Center in Goodlettsville Tn. They're a great bunch of guys and I'm eagerly awaiting the results of the test. If all is good I'll have three good inverters to function as backups to the two currently in use in my Vantare and I'll have the ability to add 2 inverters for more capacity if I choose to go that direction. Speaking of which, I got off the phone with Donnie Myers and he advised not to go with the SWI/PAR parallelizing approach that I was contemplating; instead, he suggested splitting the 120VAC panelboard to have 4 legs of 120VAC each powered by its own inverter. In fact, Donnie is experimenting with this approach but instead of using two additional Trace SW's he's exploring the use of the Magnum Hybrid MSH4024M inverters. I'm sure he'd like to use the Trace's if they were available, but he is finding that the MSH4024M is a worthy competitor.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
12-24-2016, 13:25
David
Magnum inverters are not as powerful as the Trace, Trace's output is twice that of the Magnum in surge power.
If I had a choice I would install trace but, they don't fit in the space that Liberty used to install the old 2500 non sign wave units.
So long as there are no 220 volt needed on the Vantare coach then I think that would work very well, but you have to modify your power distribution board to four legs, which I am sure you as a sparky know that well.
Merry Christmas
12-24-2016, 21:21
Hey Hish,

I'm inclined to agree. There's simply too much magnetic flux circulating in an SW's 120 pounds worth of transformers to ignore. The Hybrid MSH4024M while good is simply a lightweight in comparison coming in at 60 pounds. Now they are completely different designs. The Magnum is a high frequency pulse width modulated inverter while the SW is effectively three mid frequency modified sinewave inverters concatenated giving a pure sinewave output. Old school versus new. But there's no arguing with magnetic flux grunt and the SW wins hands down. Having said all this, Donnie Myers is starting cruisairs with the Magnum Hybrid, so we can't discount its abilities; although, I'm sure Donnie would rather use the SW if it were currently being produced.

Merry Christmas!

david brady,

01-09-2017, 15:33
Got a call from Inverter Service Center out of Nashville, Tn. All three of my inverters checked out good. One had a semi pitted grid tie relay so they replaced that, they also replaced a control panel button, and the control panel fascia. They load tested the inverters and chargers. They have two 10kW loads they use to put the inverters fully into max surge and into max steady state. They then leave the inverters run till the batteries are depleted. Chargers and fan performance are also tested. Overall I'm very pleased with the work and customer service that Jordan and PJ provide at ISC. Highly recommended.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)