Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2004 40' XLII Marathon
10-30-2014, 11:11 (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 21:02 by travelite.)
2004 40' XLII Marathon
Ebay item no: 111500079629

The 40 footers are interesting to me. They never had factory installed Prevost slides; instead, converters tended to install Valid slides. Maybe someone can explain the way this worked. I'm not sure if converters typically worked with Prevost to have Prevost install the aftermarket slide or if the converters themselves installed them. If the converters installed them, it must've been an interesting sight to see a brand new shell driving down the road with a gaping slide cutout boarded over! In any case, Prevost stopped making 40' XLII shells in 2005. Regardless of what the coach is registered as the shell can be no newer then '05. In the case of this Marathon, the VIN indicates it's an '03 chassis. It has the 365 steer tires which would have been an owner upgrade. The ad also goes on to say that the panels were checked for looseness by Marathon - notice how this has become a marketing issue for XLII motorhomes. Pretty coach!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 23:46
RE: 2004 40' XLII Marathon
David,

As I understand it, most converters did their own slides without Prevost's involvement. However, there was at least one converter that installed their own slides at Prevost with their involvement. And no, there were no shells delivered with a hole in the side. Clearly this was a lot of work! Reinforcing the chassis could not have been easy. It's the reinforcing effort that likely led to some overweight coaches.

BTW, the eBay seller likely has a lot more love for that coach than any prospective buyer. I want his garage--wow!

I wonder if there were any 40-foot XL-IIs that had delamination problems. At least the non-slide 40-footers wouldn't seem to have the same amount of chassis flex as the 45-footers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC_Guy's post:
davidbrady (10-31-2014)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)