Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing new GM Yukon
08-17-2016, 01:26
Towing new GM Yukon
Hello:

New to site , but look forward to discussions with everyone

My wife and I sold our 1993 Wanderlodge we had for 13 years.
Now into a 2001 Liberty Prevost XLII

We towed a Suburban for Years , but now have a new 2016 GMC Yukon XL
I had researched tow ability prior to purchase and ordered the 2 speed transfer case.
Even read the manual for flat towing but forgot to read the part about disconnecting the battery each time you tow.

Of course when you disconnect the battery you lose all presets for radio, seats , etc

I am in the process of now getting the GMC ready to be my toad. I have new roadmastet brackets coming. Will use my old tow bar. Planning on putting in either M&G brake or Air Force One system for braking. I had used a brake buddy portable but it is old and tired.

Question #1: Anyone in forum with either system in toad? (I know it's like asking about tires). Pros or cons for install. Ease of use.

I plan on using a blue sea marine 12V switch to disconnect the neg terminal for towing. This will make it easy to turn off battery with messing with terminals each time I tow. I have read about 9V OBD2 power plug to keep from losing data In Electronics. I also see 12V options too.

Question #2: Do you think I can run 12V from trailer plug to OBD2 plug when towing.?? Or run 12V from battery from car to just the OBD2 via a switch to turn on when battery is disconnected.

Things to ponder with your coffee.

William Jensen
2001 Liberty XLII. 45 foot non slide
Deerfield Beach, FL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2016, 13:07 (This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 13:07 by davidbrady.)
RE: Towing new GM Yukon
Hi William,

Welcome to the forum. I pull a Ford Flex and face a similar problem with the Ford battery discharging. I haven't done it yet but I plan to add a charging wire thru the 6-way trailer connector. There's an unused 12V battery terminal which I plan to put to work. The charging circuit can be as complex as a special built $100+ dedicated Toad Charge (or similar) or as simple as a 16 gauge wire, two auto-reset circuit breakers and a 12V automotive tail lamp to limit the charge current. I'm going with the cheap approach!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
08-18-2016, 00:15
David:

On the GM product the reason to unhook the battery is due to electronic lock on steering column. On prior suburban you just kept key in lock and remove fuse to dash. Now these fancy trucks have push button start thus no key to lock steering column. Thoughts have been out there to just cut wire that powers the steering wheel lock and place a switch for towing that would disengage when towing ,then go back to lock under normal conditions. My wife not too happy with me wanting to tear apart her new baby
Any thoughts about going the route of removing power to wheel lock?

Providing power to the OBD2 terminal is the only way to feed the computers power when battery is off. If I go that route I plan to feed off coach. Fuse the line to supply the OBD2 port. They recommend all power items be off, like dome lights and auto lights off to avoid sudden draw through the OBD2 port.

Willian Jensen
2001 Liberty XLII
Deerfield Beach, FL
08-18-2016, 00:25
Hmmm, that is interesting William. My Flex also has the fancy dash push button to start and stop the engine, but I don't have the steering lock issue because the Flex has no steering lock! Interesting that GM feels the need to retain it. One of our members (Hish Amaral) is a former GM engineer. Maybe he has some insight. I vote for snipping the steering lock wire and forever leaving it disabled, but I've never had to do it so I'm afraid I'm not much help. This way you can leave the battery connected and let it power the OBD2 then you can run a charge wire from the coach.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)