Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. Federal Certification Label
06-25-2019, 15:45
U.S. Federal Certification Label
I took the bus to DMV to get license and we were not able to find the U.S. Federal Certification Label for as a secondary verification.

Does anyone know where this label may be located on a 1998 XL40?

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2019, 17:01
RE: U.S. Federal Certification Label
I have never heard of such a label. My bus has no stickers on the outside.

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty Classic
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ernie Ekberg's post:
Jerry_94110 (06-25-2019)
06-25-2019, 18:18
The California DMV requires a secondary verification and they use the U.S. Federal Certification Label to do it. On a car, it is normally located on the jamb of the driver's door.

It ensures motor vehicles sold in the U.S. meet specified safety standards and also list the VIN number of the vehicle.

Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA
06-26-2019, 14:22
I called Prevost....They said that all bus have a U.S. Federal Certification Label. They said if you are standing in front of the bus looking at it. It should be located on the driver side lower windshield area or on the column between the dash and the roof. I will check this weekend. I am thinking that Vantare may have covered it when doing the conversion.

Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA
06-27-2019, 20:15 (This post was last modified: 06-27-2019 20:17 by Robert Britton.)
On my 99 it is riveted to the chrome passenger side defrost vent, you can see it when standing outside the bus looking through the windshield...thinking maybe Marathon relocated it there? There is another in the engine bay.

It's never fun dealing with California DMV when bringing a bus in from out of state. Every time I did I had to go back several times as each visit they would come up with something new that I needed (CHP inspection, smog test, weight tag). I would go back home and research from their web site, print it out, make another appointment to show them what they were asking for was not required.

Luckily my Prevost was already registered in California when I bought it so the DMV transfer was straight forward. The last Bluebird I bought from out of state I contacted a DMV approved third party registration service. For a fee he came to my house and did all the paperwork, the bus never left the barn, however he did verify the Federal Certification labels that you're asking about.

I used "Conar Registration Service" out of San Jose.
Mario Santos
408-258-4000

Robert Britton
99 Marathon XL40
06-28-2019, 07:57
wow- so much red tape

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty Classic
06-28-2019, 11:28
FMVSS 201 requires a vin plate be displayed and is in visible range by the drive side of the vehicle. The law may have change since 2006 but the passed 2 Prevost we owned the vin plate was on the driver side lower edge of the W/S and above the instrument panel.
06-28-2019, 14:37
(06-27-2019 20:15)Robert Britton Wrote:  I used "Conar Registration Service" out of San Jose.
Mario Santos
408-258-4000

Thanks Robert, If my second round at DMV does not produce a license, I think I will call Mario Santos.

I was also thinking about looking into a Montana license. I see adds for attorneys in the FMCA magazine. I am not sure how having a license plate from Montana would weather in CA.

Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA
06-29-2019, 20:26 (This post was last modified: 06-29-2019 20:31 by cubeman.)
Open the door under the drivers seat . You should see the VIN # it should be riveted to the door . Or check next to the drivers seat .

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
07-01-2019, 15:42
Thanks Al. This weekend, I did find it on the door under the drivers seat.......

Jerry Kocher
San Francisco, CA

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)