Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window Blinds Restring
01-20-2016, 23:20 (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 23:24 by cmillsap.)
Window Blinds Restring
Sooner or later if you have honeycomb blinds in your bus, you will have to replace the strings that raise and lower the blinds. This is not a complicated job but it takes more time and patience than you would think. If you have electrically operated ones like I have, the job becomes a bit more complicated. This is because you have to disassemble the blind and the mechanism in order to restring it.

First run the shade motor to its full shade down position. Then remove the header from the hangers. This is usually done by tilting the top of the header forward releasing it from the top heel of the hanger then tilting it backward to remove it from the bottom hanger latches.

The electrical wires to the shade motor will probably have to be cut unless you happen to have a terminal or connectors close by. Mark the two wires as they will need to be reconnected back to the same wire to prevent reverse rotation of the motor.

Remove the U channel from the bottom of the blind by removing the end caps and pulling the u channel off one end of the blinds.

Remove the retainers from both ends of the motorized winding mechanism and remove the complete assembly from one end of the header. Split each plastic end piece on the poly winding collar. Run the new strings through them and attach each string to the poly collars. Snap the two plastic end pieces back together. Make sure strings are long enough to allow the motorized assembly to be reinserted through one end of the header. Run the strings through the holes in the bottom of the header and on through the honeycomb shades. Replace motorized assembly back through the end of the header while hand feeding the slack in the strings through the blinds.

Replace the motorized assembly retainers on each end making sure that the split plastic end pieces are located directly over the string holes in the bottom of the header.

Measure the height of the window to the bottom of the header hanger and mark strings at the same length measuring from the bottom of the header. Tie a small plastic washer to the string at the marked location to provide shade lift. Replace the bottom U channel and the shade is ready to be rehung.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2016, 07:43 (This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 07:44 by Hisham Amaral.)
RE: Window Blinds Restring
(01-20-2016 23:20)cmillsap Wrote:  Sooner or later if you have honeycomb blinds in your bus, you will have to replace the strings that raise and lower the blinds. This is not a complicated job but it takes more time and patience than you would think. If you have electrically operated ones like I have, the job becomes a bit more complicated. This is because you have to disassemble the blind and the mechanism in order to restring it.

First run the shade motor to its full shade down position. Then remove the header from the hangers. This is usually done by tilting the top of the header forward releasing it from the top heel of the hanger then tilting it backward to remove it from the bottom hanger latches.

The electrical wires to the shade motor will probably have to be cut unless you happen to have a terminal or connectors close by. Mark the two wires as they will need to be reconnected back to the same wire to prevent reverse rotation of the motor.

Remove the U channel from the bottom of the blind by removing the end caps and pulling the u channel off one end of the blinds.

Remove the retainers from both ends of the motorized winding mechanism and remove the complete assembly from one end of the header. Split each plastic end piece on the poly winding collar. Run the new strings through them and attach each string to the poly collars. Snap the two plastic end pieces back together. Make sure strings are long enough to allow the motorized assembly to be reinserted through one end of the header. Run the strings through the holes in the bottom of the header and on through the honeycomb shades. Replace motorized assembly back through the end of the header while hand feeding the slack in the strings through the blinds.

Replace the motorized assembly retainers on each end making sure that the split plastic end pieces are located directly over the string holes in the bottom of the header.

Measure the height of the window to the bottom of the header hanger and mark strings at the same length measuring from the bottom of the header. Tie a small plastic washer to the string at the marked location to provide shade lift. Replace the bottom U channel and the shade is ready to be rehung.

Chuck
Excellent description on restoring the blinds in your Marathon coach. Thanks
01-22-2016, 18:59
Thanks Hish,

I just followed the instructions you gave me and passed it on here.

BTW, I did order the LEDs for my ceiling lights that you recommended but I haven't received them yet.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
01-24-2016, 14:00
Thanks Chuck. Really great stuff. I know I'm going to need it eventually. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)