Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Location History
03-05-2019, 20:37
Google Location History
This will blow your mind. As you guys know, I like my privacy. In the past I've gotten on my soapbox over google's collection of my personal data, so naturally I opt out at every opportunity. Today I logged into google to see if there were any new whizbang features that I needed to opt out of. I had everything turned off or to use google's teminology, "paused". On my phone I'm also very careful to never have "location" enabled. I really don't want big brother tracking my every move. Imagine my surprise when I scrolled down and clicked on "Manage Location History". You can do it here. Up came a map of the entire United States with pins at every place I've been for every hour of every day for the last few years. Check it out! It's startling! Even with "location" turned off on my cellphone, google managed to track my every move using cell tower connections. Creepy and dangerous, to say the least!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2019, 21:33
RE: Google Location History
seems I don't have a Google Account Smile

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
03-05-2019, 21:40 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 21:41 by davidbrady.)
Lucky duck Al - you're missing out on the fun. Smile I guess you have an iphone. Does Apple have their own privacy scraping going on?

The only reason I have a google account is because of PrevGu and WaGu. If we're going to rank at all I need to publish sitemaps with google and I also use them for their custom search utility, which makes searching the websites a breeze. Sucks being the King! LOL!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
03-05-2019, 21:55
I'm blown away ,seems I did have a google account and sure enough every where I have been this year plus from aug was there. Not sure why Ca was not mentioned . Wow David great find .

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
03-05-2019, 22:11 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 22:14 by davidbrady.)
I don't know in who's twisted world this is a good idea. Imagine someone in your neighborhood following all his neighbors around and keeping records of everyone's whereabouts. That would be very creepy and possibly illegal. I think it's very bad behavior for companies to do this very thing let alone on the scale we're confronted with. Add to this everyone's FB postings and timeline, everyone's comments on any social media, and top it off with a little DNA thanks to 23andme, and such, and we have a real problem. As we've learned from the recent IBM ad entitled "Dear Tech", tech isn't the problem, tech companies ("Dear Tech Company") are the problem!

david brady,

03-08-2019, 22:20
I finally got off my arse and I "rooted" my phone which means I now have superuser privileges and I'm able to write open source Android images to my phone. In Android parlance: I flashed a ROM to my phone. I have an HTC One M8 and the ROM I flashed is the LineageOS with MicroG. MicroG implements google push services with signature spoofing. This means I can download apps and get the update messages and whatever else the app needs to run from google services, and I get it indirectly and anonymously via MicroG. MicroG also provides location services so I'm am able to use Mapquest or Here WeGo or similar navigation tools w/o google snooping. My phone is now devoid of google! I'm running pure open source Android - the way God intended! Hurray!

This is what happens when I get pissed off! LOL!

You can read about it here:
https://lineage.microg.org/
https://bytemybits.gitlab.io/post/2018-0...on-f-droid
https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus...g-t3862961
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android...g-t3771483

david brady,

03-09-2019, 10:12
say what?

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty Classic
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ernie Ekberg's post:
davidbrady (03-09-2019)
03-09-2019, 13:37
(03-09-2019 10:12)Ernie Ekberg Wrote:  say what?
He's messing with us simpletons Ernie.

Robert Britton
99 Marathon XL40
[-] The following 2 users Like Robert Britton's post:
davidbrady (03-09-2019), Ernie Ekberg (03-10-2019)
03-09-2019, 20:16
Well, you can't say I do things half way! LOL!

david brady,

[-] The following 2 users Like davidbrady's post:
Ernie Ekberg (03-10-2019), Robert Britton (03-09-2019)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)