Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Hot Water!
01-19-2019, 15:10 (This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 16:34 by cmillsap.)
No Hot Water!
While my bus is garaged and waiting for our next trip, I try to exercise as many of the items on it as I can on a weekly or bi-monthly schedule. I flush the toilet and run water through the plumbing system by opening each faucet and running water through them. I like to keep enough water in the fresh water tank to do this which allows me to keep the plumbing system always pressurized at 40 psi.

This morning, I ran the cold water through the kitchen faucet and then turned the faucet handle to the hot side to run water through the hot water circuit. Alas! Only a small trickle of water out of the faucet! I checked the bathroom and bedroom hot water faucets and found the same problem. I went to the water service bay and found that no water would flow from the hot side of the Chicago faucet.

I had recently replaced the water heater thermostats and thought maybe I had shut off a valve and forgot to turn it back on. In checking, I found that there is no valve located in the system which could cause that to happen. Since there was no water at any of the faucets, the problem had to be isolated in the line somewhere between the check valve (see schematic below) and the water distribution panel located in the water service bay.

I thought maybe there was an air blockage issue in possibility one of the water heaters or in the line from the water heaters to the distribution panel. So, I hooked city water up and opened the hot side of the Chicago faucet in the water bay in hopes that I could clear any air pockets or blockages that may be in the system. After running for 30 minutes or so only a small dribble of water flowed from the faucet. Obviously, the problem was not caused by any air in the system.

In looking at the schematic, desperation began to set-in and I grabbed a small hammer and tapped the check valve located in the cold-water line just before it enters the water heaters. ‘Lo & behold, I heard the water pressure increase coming out of the open Chicago Faucet in the water bay which I had still left open. A couple more taps on that check valve produced a full stream of water out the Chicago Faucet. I went inside and checked all the other faucets, and all was well with good water flow through the hot side.

So, if you ever have the same problem, be sure to check that check valve as it was obviously stuck closed and caused the problem.

.pdf  Scan_0001.pdf (Size: 192.51 KB / Downloads: 8) İmage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like cmillsap's post:
davidbrady (01-20-2019), Itchintogo (01-21-2019)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)