Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting your Trace Auto Gen Start Parameters
02-22-2019, 23:35 (This post was last modified: 02-23-2019 00:32 by travelite.)
RE: Setting your Trace Auto Gen Start Parameters
I'd add that the Trace inverter is mil-spec having seen combat in Desert-Storm and beyond. They are truly remarkable in that the total available software space is 6KB (kilobyte) and the technology is no more complex than what you'd find in your dishwasher. (3 Microchip micro-controllers and a handful of TTL logic). In addition to the RV world and the military, many have been sold for industrial backup and residential backup and off-grid applications. Now you see why I want to keep these alive by providing power boards and controller boards. Are there areas for improvement? Yes. They need to be brought into the 21st century. There's no IP interface. There's no standardized management protocol allowing an interface to Crestron, RTI or network management system; there's an absence of non-volatile storage; there's no way to parallel units for more inverter or charging power; there's a relatively coarse adjustment of AC voltage amplitudes but yet it still manages less than 3% total harmonic distortion. They were phenomenal for their day and they still rein in some areas, but in many ways they're stuck in the 90's. It's clear to me why Xantrex dropped the design - they're expensive to build as compared to today's standard high frequency inverter. They have a lot of parts and the assembly in not simple, especially the powerboards. But I have a hard time letting them go. They came out of the high-fidelity world where folks needed clean power supplies for their hi-fidelity amplifiers and they're incredibly overbuilt. One of the things that really stokes me about them is the way they perfectly lock onto the incoming shore or generator power frequency. It's technology that came out of the military for tracking guided missiles. The lead engineer at Trace learned his trade in the military. It's a very good design.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2019, 10:36
I wonder if it makes sense to buy a extra inverter being they are so awesome ?

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
Find all posts by this user
02-23-2019, 12:07 (This post was last modified: 02-23-2019 12:08 by davidbrady.)
It does make sense Al. I have five SW4024's and five SW4024Plus's in my workshop, plus as you know I'm working on replacement circuit boards: http://www.prevostgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=825

The SW4024Plus is a neat unit. It's the same as the standard SW4024 but the big transformer is 50% larger. The Plus can start and run two Cruisairs. Two of these in our Vantare's will greatly ease the load management of our buses. The only problem with them is they don't give priority to the generator.

david brady,

02-23-2019, 12:25
ok then , please do keep your eyes open for me when you see one for sale and I will buy it . I would want a plug and play one , no need for me to get into messing around with making a larger one fit . Thank you

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
02-24-2019, 13:08 (This post was last modified: 02-24-2019 13:11 by davidbrady.)
(02-23-2019 12:25)cubeman Wrote:  ok then , please do keep your eyes open for me when you see one for sale and I will buy it . I would want a plug and play one , no need for me to get into messing around with making a larger one fit . Thank you

Sure will Al. Actually, there's one on Ebay right now, item number:292936156309, but you should make sure it's an MC2 which is the recreational vehicle model that prioritizes the generator on AC2. MC2 will be marked next to the serial number on the chassis. A quick question and a photo of the serial number from seller should be definitive.

david brady,

02-24-2019, 22:26
Not to excited about this one . He said it has a dent so I'm not taking any chances with unknowns on Inverters . Buying this coach is enough unknowns for me for a while .

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
04-17-2019, 22:02
I have a new Inverter issue .

It seems when inverting , not with genny, or in commute I have 1 leg dipping in voltage .
Do I need a new inverter or is there something simple going on here that can easily be repaired ?

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com
04-18-2019, 20:10
This is great information and a big learning curve on my part.

In the last year with the BB, we have only been plugged into power once or twice. The BB is stored where no power is available and we normally dry camp. I am religious about keeping the batteries topped off. Once a week I run the generator between 1 and 1.5 hours to charge up the batteries and when we dry camp I only use the inverter (which is a trace 2000w) for the TV, lights, charging phones and laptops. Any heavy draw items such as the coffee maker or microwave, I fire up the generator, even though the inverter can handle these task. My BB's house and chassis batteries are combined, so I have always been cautious. I also got into a habit of running the generator at the end of each trip to top off the batteries before storing the coach.

It sounds like with the 1998 Vantare, everything goes through the inverters? Any incoming power whether it is from a power post at an RV park or your generator is only charging your batteries?

Jerry Kocher
1998 Prevost 40XL Vantare
1987 PT38 (8V92) "The Wayward Bird"
San Francisco, CA
04-18-2019, 20:14
Hi Al,

Go into your meters, menu 4, and for both inverters tell me the following parameters:
1) inverter charger amps AC
2) input amps AC
3) load amps AC
4) battery actual volts DC
5) battery tempcomp volts DC
6) inverter volts AC
7) grid volts AC
8) generator volts AC
9) read frequency hertz

david brady,

04-19-2019, 08:26
Would this be while charging or after she is charged ? We are on a 2 week dry camp so the only power available would be Genny. I guess I'm asking should I wait till they are no longer charging and in the float mode for these values ?

Jerry , You are correct . On our Vantares everything runs thru the inverters, and you will be shocked at what 2 Trace 4024 can handle . We do have the option if needed to bypass the inverter by either switching to Genny or shore power . There are switches on the panel in the bay for this option .

Al Perna
1998 Prevost Vantare
2000 LXI ss ( for sale)
Ormond Beach Fla
fastcubes.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)