Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service Brakes w/ Retader, Panic Stopping
01-12-2016, 21:25
RE: Service Brakes w/ Retader, Panic Stopping
Yeah David, I read that post also, I found it very interesting. Ulterior to what I know, it was stated that professional truckers always drive with their Jake or retarder on. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I'm sure there are novice and reckless truckers (cowboys) out there that hope their Jake or retarder will save their ass. But good Professional truck drivers use it only for downgrades and when needed in low speed congested traffic conditions. I do the same. My Jake is off on wide open roads.

Having the Jake or retarder activate every time you lift the accelerator is like pressing your chassis brake pedal each time you let off the accelerator. I see it all the time while following a coach equipped with a Jake or retarder. The brake lights are constantly going on and off. I bet a lot of auto drivers following a coach with the Jake or retarder on wonders what the hell the coach driver is doing.

Obviously, I want all the braking assist that I can get in a panic stop situation. I even appreciate the added auxiliary brake that I place in my towed vehicle. I'm sure the Jake being on helps in a panic stop but the switch is in a prominent place on my dash and is easily activated. In a panic stop so short that you don't have time to turn on the Jake, an active Jake isn't going to have much effect in helping avoid the accident either.

Safe driving habits will prevent more accidents than a Jake or retarder ever will. Good defensive driving habits such as maintaining adequate space in front of you to stop and watching out for the yahoos who are depending on their Jake or retarder to stop them will do more to avoid an accident than a Jake or retarder ever will...

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Service Brakes w/ Retader, Panic Stopping - cmillsap - 01-12-2016 21:25

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)