Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service Brakes w/ Retader, Panic Stopping
06-13-2016, 17:58 (This post was last modified: 06-13-2016 18:27 by Joe cannarozzi.)
RE: Service Brakes w/ Retader, Panic Stopping
There is a way the Jake can help in slowing that was not discussed here. Can't respond to the other threads I do nto add content to that site.

I think u really can't compare it's use in the bus to its use in a semi that's like comparing apples and oranges because 1 has an automatic trans and 1 is a manuall.

I am fairly confident that in a truck downshifting will get u stopped way quicker when combined with braking. If u r downshifting with the Jake on the rpms wI'll drop way faster enabling g u to get down thru those gears way quicker.

So in a truck with a manual trans thats in a attempt to stop as quick as possible and the driver is agressivly downshifting with the Jake on it is been my experiance that it will get u slowed down quicker.

Bus and the automatic is very different.

With the Trans left in 6 or 5 Whate very u have and u try to stop quick and have the Jake on as soon as speed drops below the gear on the keypad the Trans does not downshift itself. I suppose there is a term for it let's call it limbo. It comes out of limbo when u step back on the gas or come to a complete stop. So no additional braking g can result from an automatic trans if u leave it in drive.

HOWEVER

The reason I responded to this thread is it got me thinking. IF , in the bus and with the automatic trans and the Jake on during a panic stop the driver assists braking by agressively manually downshifting the automatic trans IMHO that would assist in shorting the stopping distance and for the same reason as the manuall trans, the rpms wI'll drop quicker.

Or another way to explain.

In a truck if the driver did not manually downshift with the Jake to slow down quicker the Jake would be almost as worthless as having it on with an automatic and not bringing it down thru the gears with the button.

My 2 cents. Just stumbled across this site. Interesting thread.

I just reread the post before mine and brought another thought.

I got a question.

What would happen if in a panic while trying to stop fast a driver hit that downshift button as fast as he could right down to 1st as soon as the braking began at whatever speed that might be????

Would the Trans imidatly respond and self destruct or would each lower gear only engage when the correct speed is acheeved??

Either way I'd like to know . Either I never want to never make that mistake OR if it will not hurt the Trans I want to know it's in the arsonal if I need it.

Nother question.

I fortunately never had to make a panic stop but am curious to know if anyone reading this has ever been able to lock up the tires getting them to skid in a panic stop. I'm not completely convinced a prevo motorhome can lockup the brakes in a panic stop.

Someone please tell me that it ain't so.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Service Brakes w/ Retader, Panic Stopping - Joe cannarozzi - 06-13-2016 17:58

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)