Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powered Sewer Hoses and Sewer storage tanks
09-16-2018, 15:15 (This post was last modified: 09-16-2018 18:09 by travelite.)
RE: Powered Sewer Hoses and Sewer storage tanks
(09-16-2018 14:07)cmillsap Wrote:  Yes, it is Glendinning but retracts the hose coiled into a barrel (not stored on a reel) Many coaches have powered shore cords but not remote controlled (like our Wanderlodges). If you watch the video closely, the hose is only extended a few feet out from under the coach then hand pulled to the connection. But the hose can be driven all the way out by air if you so choose. It can also be pushed back in by hand if the mechanism fails simply by collapsing the accordions. The hose is unpressurized when you release the extend button, so no pressure exist when the cap is removed. Since the hose drops out the bottom so with gravity it is pretty clean and empty after flushing with the grey water. I replaced my sewer hose last year although it was still functional with no leaks. I suspected the original hose was never replaced. It just looked a little beat up. These are expensive thick walled quality sewer hoses which should last many years.

By converters I meant Prevost converters. I would expect most, if not all, Prevost converters to be using a remote controlled Glendinning by the 2003/2004 model years. With other brands, including Wanderlodge, I would expect a little less. Still, I'm not quite sure of the benefit of rolling into a barrel versus onto a real. Glendinning provides both options and I guess it boils down to physical constraints within the conversion; i.e., basement layout and dimensions, etc.

Thanks for clearing up my questions. I did re-watch the video and I see how the hose trapdoor first drops allowing access for manual operation; although, it is quite a reach under the coach to grab onto the hose. There's a lot of on your knees and bending of the back to get to it.

(09-16-2018 14:07)cmillsap Wrote:  The biggest negative about the whole system's design is that the Glendinning mechanism is buried behind the water bay and difficult to access. If the shore cord power fails with the shore cord extended, there is no other way to manually retract the cord but manually rotating the Glendinning. It is not hand push-able back. The issue is further exacerbated due to the shore cord being delivered out the drop door. There is no way to temporarily coil the shore cord up into a bay or raise the drop door. So...your stuck until you get the shore cord recoiled back into the drop door.

True, if the glendinning fails to recoil then that's going to have to be fixed before you can recoil your hose. In my opinion, the other downside of the mechanism is that it's air powered, and air powered systems tend to leak over time requiring R&R or much more frequent running of the air compressor which tends to push moisture throughout your auxiliary system. I'd be happy with just a non-pneumatically powered drop down door and full manual operation from that point on. We all know when it comes to hooking up utilities at a CG you can't get away from on your knees and bent over manual labor. It is a novel approach, it sets Marathon apart, it's a great conversation piece, and it does help with some of the manual labor involved. Good job!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2018, 17:33 (This post was last modified: 09-16-2018 17:37 by cmillsap.)
David,

The shore cord remote control is a good thing. It provides a little redundancy. Last year I had the shore cord hard wired extend/retract switch go bad but was able to retract the shore cord using the remote until I received a new switch. During that time I only extended the shore cord out just far enough to hook a 25" extension cord to it (which I always carry on the bus). Just to play it safe in case the remote failed too. Big Grin

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
09-16-2018, 23:13
I was a bit hesitant to start this new thread as a 'newbie' and thank everyone for sharing. However, I wonder whether those that have this system in their Marathon know whether the additional space needed to install this system retroactively in a pre-2004 bus would require removal and downsizing of fresh, gray and black tanks?
I think these systems became standard with 2004 Marathons and younger.
09-17-2018, 12:13
(09-16-2018 23:13)cattfuu Wrote:  I was a bit hesitant to start this new thread as a 'newbie' and thank everyone for sharing. However, I wonder whether those that have this system in their Marathon know whether the additional space needed to install this system retroactively in a pre-2004 bus would require removal and downsizing of fresh, gray and black tanks?
I think these systems became standard with 2004 Marathons and younger.

Why not call Marathon? They can answer your question @ 800-365-0156

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
09-18-2018, 11:01 (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 11:01 by davidbrady.)
(09-17-2018 12:13)cmillsap Wrote:  Why not call Marathon? They can answer your question @ 800-365-0156

That probably is the best tack Sherry. Please let us know what you find out, and thanks for mustering up the courage to start a thread. Hope you to see many more. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)