Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powered Sewer Hoses and Sewer storage tanks
09-12-2018, 12:17
Powered Sewer Hoses and Sewer storage tanks
Who has experience with or information about powered sewer hoses and reduction of storage tanks due to the space requirements?
Considering replacing the standard 'scooting on knees' type sewer pipe with powered sewer hose on a 40' bus and wonder whether this will require a reduction of the black and gray water tanks to make space for the reel and hose. The bus has roof airs, but I'm sure it is crowded down there. Has anyone else made this modification? Don't want to loose tank space but sure would love pushing a button and have the hose shoot out of the bottom. Oh those aching knees.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2018, 14:53 (This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 14:56 by cmillsap.)
RE: Powered Sewer Hoses and Sewer storage tanks
(09-12-2018 12:17)cattfuu Wrote:  Who has experience with or information about powered sewer hoses and reduction of storage tanks due to the space requirements?
Considering replacing the standard 'scooting on knees' type sewer pipe with powered sewer hose on a 40' bus and wonder whether this will require a reduction of the black and gray water tanks to make space for the reel and hose. The bus has roof airs, but I'm sure it is crowded down there. Has anyone else made this modification? Don't want to loose tank space but sure would love pushing a button and have the hose shoot out of the bottom. Oh those aching knees.

If we knew what conversion your coach is we might be more able to answer your question. As far as I know, Marathon is the only converter that installs a powered (air & vacuum driven) sewer hose out and back in. No hose reel is required. The capped sewer hose is filled with air which extends the accordion hose. Vacuum is applied to the capped hose, thereby collapsing the accordion and retracting the hose.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
09-14-2018, 20:44
Chuck,

Catfuu is looking at a Royale. I wish I could comment on this thread but I know nothing about the auto extending/retracting dump hose mechanism used in a Marathon. I think Marathon is the only converter using this method???

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
09-14-2018, 22:09
(09-14-2018 20:44)davidbrady Wrote:  Chuck,

Catfuu is looking at a Royale. I wish I could comment on this thread but I know nothing about the auto extending/retracting dump hose mechanism used in a Marathon. I think Marathon is the only converter using this method???
David,
I have this system on my Marathon but because it works so well, I haven’t spent much time learning about its design characteristics. I doubt if it would be practical to try to adapt it to another converter designed coach. So…, if this feature is something that is high on a purchaser’s list, I would suggest they consider a Marathon.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
09-14-2018, 22:30
Well, the same day husband was to land, give the Royal its final inspection and seal the deal, the coach was sold in the morning. It is hard to get all over the US in a timely fashion while still employed. Those giant corporations don't look kindly at requests for time off in order to play.
You all are right, we now are eying a Marathon.
09-15-2018, 12:44
(09-14-2018 22:30)cattfuu Wrote:  Well, the same day husband was to land, give the Royal its final inspection and seal the deal, the coach was sold in the morning. It is hard to get all over the US in a timely fashion while still employed. Those giant corporations don't look kindly at requests for time off in order to play.
You all are right, we now are eying a Marathon.

Catfuu,

I am assuming that this will be your first purchase of a converted Prevost motorcoach. If so, and for what’s it’s worth, here’s my unsolicited comment;

It’s very important to take your time while looking for that perfect coach to purchase. There are plenty of coaches available for sale.

Don’t ever be persuaded to expedite your buying process simply because someone else may beat you to it and buy that coach you are interested in. Human Nature has played that trick on many buyers.

Spend the time to properly inspect any coach you may purchase. These are very complex machines. If you are unfamiliar with what all to inspect, if possible, have it inspected by Prevost and the converter or someone that knows how to inspect a Prevost conversion.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
09-15-2018, 13:38
For those who have never seen the Marathon dump hose in action. Here it is:

david brady,

09-16-2018, 00:14
(09-15-2018 13:38)davidbrady Wrote:  For those who have never seen the Marathon dump hose in action. Here it is:

Although the video didn't show it, the shore cord can be extended and retracted using a supplied key fob remote control. This is very helpful when the shore power connection is further away. It allows you to carry the end of the shore cord to the shore connection while holding the remote's extend button down. Also, on retraction, using the remote while carrying the end of the shore cord as it retracts prevents the plug-in end of the cord from getting damaged while being dragged on the ground. Incidentally, Marathon also provides a leather cover for the plug-in end of the shore cord just in case it does get dragged across the ground.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
09-16-2018, 09:28 (This post was last modified: 09-16-2018 10:36 by travelite.)
Chuck,

That cable remote is standard Glendinning. Vantare has the same remote and I would expect it's standard equipment with most converters of our vintage coach.

BTW, I attached Marathon's patent if anyone wishes to implement a similar hose extension/retraction system.

Chuck, what if you don't want to use this feature? Can you manually pull out the hose and store it? I can imagine some tight quarters situations where you don't want the hose to pneumatically pop out and you may want to do it manually instead. (I wouldn't want to give my neighboring camper a black eye, for instance). Also, when you take the cap off the end are you greeted with a puff of air? And, how does it stay clean? It's customary to first dump the black then the grey to flush the hose but then most of us disconnect the hose and run fresh water thru it to further clean it, and lastly is the dragging on the ground an issue? These dump hoses aren't the toughest things, so I'm imagining the hose developing pinholes overtime as the air pressure forcefully drags the hose across the ground. Is this a problem?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  MarathonsDumpHosePatent.pdf (Size: 507.29 KB / Downloads: 5)

david brady,

[-] The following 1 user Likes davidbrady's post:
travelite (09-16-2018)
09-16-2018, 14:07
(09-16-2018 09:28)davidbrady Wrote:  Chuck,

That cable remote is standard Glendinning. Vantare has the same remote and I would expect it's standard equipment with most converters of our vintage coach.

BTW, I attached Marathon's patent if anyone wishes to implement a similar hose extension/retraction system.

Chuck, what if you don't want to use this feature? Can you manually pull out the hose and store it? I can imagine some tight quarters situations where you don't want the hose to pneumatically pop out and you may want to do it manually instead. (I wouldn't want to give my neighboring camper a black eye, for instance). Also, when you take the cap off the end are you greeted with a puff of air? And, how does it stay clean? It's customary to first dump the black then the grey to flush the hose but then most of us disconnect the hose and run fresh water thru it to further clean it, and lastly is the dragging on the ground an issue? These dump hoses aren't the toughest things, so I'm imagining the hose developing pinholes overtime as the air pressure forcefully drags the hose across the ground. Is this a problem?

Yes, it is Glendinning but retracts the hose coiled into a barrel (not stored on a reel) Many coaches have powered shore cords but not remote controlled (like our Wanderlodges). If you watch the video closely, the hose is only extended a few feet out from under the coach then hand pulled to the connection. But the hose can be driven all the way out by air if you so choose. It can also be pushed back in by hand if the mechanism fails simply by collapsing the accordions. The hose is unpressurized when you release the extend button, so no pressure exist when the cap is removed. Since the hose drops out the bottom so with gravity it is pretty clean and empty after flushing with the grey water. I replaced my sewer hose last year although it was still functional with no leaks. I suspected the original hose was never replaced. It just looked a little beat up. These are expensive thick walled quality sewer hoses which should last many years.

The biggest negative about the whole system's design is that the Glendinning mechanism is buried behind the water bay and difficult to access. If the shore cord power fails with the shore cord extended, there is no other way to manually retract the hose but manually rotating the Glendinning. It is not hand push-able back. The issue is further exacerbated due to the shore cord being delivered out the drop door. There is no way to temporarily coil the shore cord up into a bay or raise the drop door. So...your stuck until you get the shore cord recoiled back into the drop door.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)