Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check your chassis for rust
09-06-2018, 15:15 (This post was last modified: 09-07-2018 16:53 by travelite.)
Check your chassis for rust
My coach is a really clean, no rust, California coach. The other day I was inspecting my steer tires and I noticed some rust color staining coming thru my spray on insulation just ahead of the steer tires. I scraped away the insulation and was surprised to see heavy scale rust on two frame members. Attached is a Prevost drawing of the front end. The rusty tubes are painted pink in the drawing. You can orient yourself by finding the front toe hooks. I also attached pics of the rusted frame tubes, one on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side. All the tubes that are low and in contact with the spray foam insulation are stainless except the ones that rusted. The tubes in question are 1.25"x1.25" with a thickness close to 0.25". I read that Prevost used high yield low alloy (ASTM A36, 80kpsi) steel in high stress areas. These tubes are one of those areas. I've been in touch with Prevost and will take the bus to Nashville to have it assessed. The problem is I can only descale two sides of the tubes because the other sides are obscured by welded on stainless steel sheet metal. I do see evidence of rust jacking lifting the panels away from the tubes. The good news is the tubes are accessible and easily replaced if necessary, but given their dimensions and thickness I think exposing all four sides, rust neutralizing, zinc priming and top coating will be sufficient. I took a magnet to all the other frame members buried within the insulating foam and found all others to be stainless. BTW, the blue tint in the pics is phospho that I applied to neutralize the rust. Bottom line, if you see brown discoloration/staining coming thru your spray on foam insulation, you may be wise not to ignore it.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)