Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting towel bars, toilet paper and paper towel dispensers onto walls
09-04-2018, 01:27
Mounting towel bars, toilet paper and paper towel dispensers onto walls
We are eying a beautiful 2004 coach with a gorgeous bathroom and toilet-room, but it does not have one single towel bar, paper towel holder, toilet paper holder. Who designs these things???? Are we really just supposed to sit in them and go 'oh how pretty - honey now pull over at the next rest stop please'.
What is behind the wall paper on an outside wall of a 2004 Royale XLII? Is it plywood, particle board, cardboard, compressed angel dust? What is the distance between the studs and are they metal, wood, or more compressed angel dust? What is the stud width?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2018, 19:53 (This post was last modified: 09-04-2018 19:56 by davidbrady.)
RE: Mounting towel bars, toilet paper and paper towel dispensers onto walls
Hi Catfuu,

Here's a link that shows what an XLII conversion shell looks like before conversion. The wall studs are around 5.5' apart, but they're somewhat unevenly spaced. Center to center spacing is more uniform in the middle of the but but more squished at the ends. I'm not sure of the post cross section but it's around 2"x4". The first thing the converters do is cover the walls with 5/8" plywood. You can pretty much mount bathroom towel rings, bars, and such anywhere on a wall. If you get unlucky and your screw hits a steel wall stud, then use a shorter screw. If you choose any random outside wall location you're more than likely screwing into plywood.

Glad you found a bus you like. Good luck!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
[-] The following 1 user Likes davidbrady's post:
cattfuu (09-04-2018)
09-04-2018, 23:59
(09-04-2018 19:53)davidbrady Wrote:  Hi Catfuu,

Here's a link that shows what an XLII conversion shell looks like before conversion. The wall studs are around 5.5' apart, but they're somewhat unevenly spaced. Center to center spacing is more uniform in the middle of the but but more squished at the ends. I'm not sure of the post cross section but it's around 2"x4". The first thing the converters do is cover the walls with 5/8" plywood. You can pretty much mount bathroom towel rings, bars, and such anywhere on a wall. If you get unlucky and your screw hits a steel wall stud, then use a shorter screw. If you choose any random outside wall location you're more than likely screwing into plywood.

Glad you found a bus you like. Good luck!

Thank you David. The pictures are very much appreciated and helpful.
09-05-2018, 08:37
David, would you expect that a 2000 Liberty XL would have the plywood as well? I’m planning to remove dining table and replace with a bar-counter along the wall

Jim Doel
2000 Liberty XL 40’
Perth, ON
09-05-2018, 10:53 (This post was last modified: 09-05-2018 11:00 by davidbrady.)
Hi Jim,

Yes, I would expect it to be the same. In fact, Hish Amaral replaced his table and loose chairs with a J-dinette in his previous Liberty: http://www.prevostgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=796. Hish will definitely have more insight.

Sherry, in those pics of the empty shell, the roof bows are 33" apart. You can see how there's a wall stud every two roof bows which would put the wall stud spacing at 66". If you can find your roof bows, then you can find your wall studs. The roof on a Prevost is a one piece aluminum sheet. They didn't rivet across the roof bows but if you tap on the aluminum sheet they're easy to identify. Incidentally, you can walk on a Prevost roof but you need to be careful to walk on the bows; if you walk on the skin you'll bend it. The skin is probably 20 gauge. I carry a couple 1"x6" planks up there and I walk on them. I never tried it but I bet you can find your wall studs with a strong magnet.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)