Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PowerTech Generator Basler Voltage Regulator
04-06-2018, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2018 19:25 by davidbrady.)
PowerTech Generator Basler Voltage Regulator
When I replaced my Basler voltage regulator for my Powertech generator I was surprised to see that the AVC63-4 actually senses 240VAC. My Vantare doesn't have any 240VAC loads. My generator is configured to supply two in-phase 120VAC feeds, but the same voltage regulator (the AVC63-4) works regardless of whether the unit is configured for 120VAC or 240VAC. For this to work, Powertech (or the folks who make the generator head) did something interesting. They added another 120VAC sense winding that's out of phase with line feeds. Here's a picture of how to hook up a 240VAC Basler AVC63-4 when running the generator as a 120VAC unit:

F+ and F- connect to the exciter windings. 3 and 4 sense the 240VAC voltage generated across E1/E4 through T1/T2. Individually each of these windings is 120V but together they provide a 240V sense to the regulator. Notice the jumper jumping T1 and T3 at the breaker. This connects both windings in parallel so each winding can power both legs and the generator is always perfectly balanced.

This same voltage regulator can regulate 240VAC by connecting it as shown in the below pic. Notice how the regulator's 3 terminal connects to T1 and 4 connects to T4. Between T1 and T4 the generator generates 240VAC. Pretty clever.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2018, 18:11
RE: PowerTech Generator Basler Voltage Regulator
Why in the world would they have spec'ed a generator with dual in-phase 120V outputs? Doing so requires an otherwise oversized neutral conductor.
04-08-2018, 18:59 (This post was last modified: 04-09-2018 10:19 by davidbrady.)
Hey CC_Guy,

So, what's the problem with running an extra neutral wire? This is probably a prudent thing to do anyway these days with all the non-linear loads we run (digital electronics power supplies, etc) which cause harmonics resulting in increased neutral current. The lovely thing about dual in-phase is that it provides a very easy work environment for your generator. Both windings of your generator are nicely balanced. Gone are the problems associated with running a single CruiesAir. When doing so, take a look at each leg's voltage and you'll see 118 VAC on one and 104 on the other. Unbalanced loads cause your generator rotor to speed up and down, which causes vibration, and it also causes parasitic currents as your rotor oscillates through the magnetic flux resultant which causes heat and reduced efficiency. I'm sure you've heard the beat frequencies as your generator struggles with unbalanced loads? This is very hard on the genset.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
04-09-2018, 10:09
From Prevost Gurus > Forum Tools > Library > Converters > Vantare > Coaches > 4620 > 4620 Service Manual.pdf page 106, here's the power distribution for my coach:

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Vantare4620PowerDist.pdf (Size: 40.71 KB / Downloads: 6)

david brady,

04-09-2018, 12:54
Wouldn't a generator with 2 in-phase outputs have the same load balance issue as a 240V unit?
04-09-2018, 13:52 (This post was last modified: 04-09-2018 16:30 by travelite.)
No, because in my 120VAC in-phase case both generator stator windings are connected in parallel. Going back to my first drawing, T1 is connected to T3 (via the jumper) and T2 is connected to T4 at ground/neutral, so both windings see the same load at the T1/T3 node, both are connected to ground/neutral at T2/T4, so both supply current to the load equally and the torque applied to the rotor windings by the stators' magnetic fields is uniform throughout the full rotation. Here's the drawing:

In the 240V case, going back to the drawing (reproduced below), the loads are split at T1 and T4 and connected to ground/neutral at T2/T3, the stator windings are now in series. Now we can have a load on one stator winding independent of the other stator winding; hence, the unbalanced torque applied to the rotor windings, which causes the rotor speed to oscillate about an average velocity.

Both ends of each stator winding are brought outside the generator head for us to configure as we wish. The two ends of the exciter windings are also available to connect to the voltage regulator, F+ and F-.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)