Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruisairs- the saga continues
05-30-2018, 10:29
RE: Cruisairs- the saga continues
(05-29-2018 17:19)davidbrady Wrote:  Ernie,

I don't know how Liberty did it, but the CruisAirs behind the front bumper on my Vantare swing out on trays for removal. Maybe Hish has an idea of how difficult removal is in a Liberty.

I spoke with AAP today. The cost of a reman condensing unit is $2800. The cost of a brand new unit is $4300. I was a bit surprised over the cost of a reman. Further inquiry revealed that on Jan 2015 there was a price increase. Prior to Jan 2015 the reman price was $2500 and it remained at this price for the previoius three years. Back before 2012 the price was $2000 and that's the lowest the price ever was. So the information I had earlier of a cost of $1250 was incorrect, that must have been for a compressor replacement. With the reman comes a new drier/accumulator which is mounted outside the condensing box. In the event compressor failure sent metal fragments throughout the system, AAP does recommend backwashing the evaporator system. AAP said there's nothing to fail in the evaporator system except for the blow fan motor - there's no expansion valve.

I questioned them about cooling ability in the summer heat of the four corners (CO, AZ, NM, UT) USA. They said they've been after the converters for years to use the large rubber 90 deg radiused exhaust elbows out the bottom of the coach directed opposite to the inlet vents in the basement doors. They also said it's better if the coach remains at normal ride height at all times to minimize condensing blower fan pressure. Vantare uses these CruisAir rubber vents on all four CruisAirs; I know some other converters do not. AAP was adamant about the importance of eliminating recirculating air currents.
David
In addition to keeping the coach at normal height one have to use a running water hose under the unites to keep them cool and running. This is a firsthand experience with my 03 Liberty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2018, 11:53
(05-30-2018 10:29)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  David
In addition to keeping the coach at normal height one have to use a running water hose under the unites to keep them cool and running. This is a firsthand experience with my 03 Liberty.

With all due respect Hish (and I hate to disagree with a friend), but I've never had to do that with my coach. Judging from pics you've shared in the past, and correct me if I'm wrong, your liberty simply directed hot air straight out holes in the basement floor. They didn't use the rubber 90 deg elbows to direct hot air away from the inlets, or make any effort to direct the exhaust air, and they also didn't use skirting along the bus length to block recirculating air. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think there were some implementation issues that factored into your experience.

As AAP explained, CruisAirs are industrial quality commercial grade air conditioners meant to run full time for 20 plus years. Mine are 14 years old and I hope to get another 5 years or more out of them. When they fail I'm swapping in remans. I'm pleased with their performance and I've had roof airs.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
05-30-2018, 12:43
(05-30-2018 11:53)davidbrady Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 10:29)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  David

With all due respect Hish (and I hate to disagree with a friend), but I've never had to do that with my coach. Judging from pics you've shared in the past, and correct me if I'm wrong, your liberty simply directed hot air straight out holes in the basement floor. They didn't use the rubber 90 deg elbows to direct hot air away from the inlets, or make any effort to direct the exhaust air, and they also didn't use skirting along the bus length to block recirculating air. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think there were some implementation issues that factored into your experience.

As AAP explained, CruisAirs are industrial quality commercial grade air conditioners meant to run full time for 20 plus years. Mine are 14 years old and I hope to get another 5 years or more out of them. When they fail I'm swapping in remans. I'm pleased with their performance and I've had roof airs.
David
There are no 90 degree air discharge on the Cruisairs on our former Liberty coach that maybe the issue with the A/C shouts down when in temp in access of 108 F.
The question I have for you is, have you ever been in an area with temps at or above 108 F ? Maybe we should ask coach owners that have Cruisairs and live in Phoenix AZ, or anywhere the southwest US.
05-30-2018, 13:00
(05-30-2018 12:43)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  David
There are no 90 degree air discharge on the Cruisairs on our former Liberty coach that maybe the issue with the A/C shouts down when in temp in access of 108 F.
The question I have for you is, have you ever been in an area with temps at or above 108 F ? Maybe we should ask coach owners that have Cruisairs and live in Phoenix AZ, or anywhere the southwest US.

Of course I have, you know that Hish. I've been in 120 deg temps in Death Valley, 112 in Amarillo Texas, 110 in New Mexico and the Four Corners. You know the only time I get to really use the coach is during the stinking hot summer when school is out! LOL! And, that's where we go to the hot, hot places, and I've done all this without OTR and w/o dash air. I finally got the dash air fixed so this is the first year in four years of ownership that I'll have that extra little bit. I haven't done it so far because the CruisAirs have been sufficient, but there are times when you first get into the coach and the coach is hot because nothing's running, that's when I want the dash air too. I don't like hanging out in these ultra hot climates, but I've done it with this coach with just CruisAirs and it's been fine. Admittedly, my wife doesn't need a lot of AC and we're not spoiled with OTR; IOWs, air conditioning comfort levels are a very subjective thing. In all the above cases I've been able to cool the coach to comfortable levels. 70-ish deg F. My previous coach, a 43' Wanderlodge LXi, had 3 roof airs, it needed 4, and I did all the hot climates with it too. I'm very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of both systems.

david brady,

05-30-2018, 13:06
FWIW, I had a plan to install a mini split in the stateroom of my XL to reduce noise. The mini-splits all use soft start motors. In fact their fans almost always are spinning. They use far less energy for those running them off of inverters.

Some of the home builders of coaches are installing these mini splits. Whether or not they should, they are laying the outdoor unit on it's side. My plan was to install the outdoor unit as it should be in an enclosure built into the rear cap. Much of that space was not effectively used in the walk-in closet anyway. Now that I have an H, I'm sure I could stand them up in a bay, although my roof airs in my H are plenty quiet.

I've seen Cruise-Air compressors for sale for about $800, if that's all you need.
05-30-2018, 13:35 (This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 13:36 by davidbrady.)
(05-30-2018 12:43)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  The question I have for you is, have you ever been in an area with temps at or above 108 F ?

Hish, how 'bout if I visit you this summer and camp out in the heat of Las Vegas. We can play with the AC together to see how it works? Smile

(05-30-2018 13:06)CC_Guy Wrote:  FWIW, I had a plan to install a mini split in the stateroom of my XL to reduce noise. The mini-splits all use soft start motors. In fact their fans almost always are spinning. They use far less energy for those running them off of inverters.

Some of the home builders of coaches are installing these mini splits. Whether or not they should, they are laying the outdoor unit on it's side. My plan was to install the outdoor unit as it should be in an enclosure built into the rear cap. Much of that space was not effectively used in the walk-in closet anyway. Now that I have an H, I'm sure I could stand them up in a bay, although my roof airs in my H are plenty quiet.

I've seen Cruise-Air compressors for sale for about $800, if that's all you need.

That's good info CC_Guy. Packaging is a big issue with the alternative mini-spits and I've wondered whether they can be placed on their sides. As you said, most of them do have constantly running compressors. I think the marketing term for that is 'inverter technology', it's the same sort of tech used in the ultra low power refrigerators: Samsung, etc, which is basically Variable Frequency Drive; i.e., an AC motor where the inverter controls the frequency of the motor's input voltage to adjust compressor speed. They should be power inverter (Heart, Xantrex, etc) friendly because I think the first thing they do is rectify the incoming power AC to DC. I'm sure you know all of this, but just for completeness sake... Smile

david brady,

05-30-2018, 23:21 (This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 00:11 by Hisham Amaral.)
Guys
Last summer temp reached 114 F in June July and Aug. I could not get the Cruisair to run above 108 F.
I welcome your visit any time July is a good month to test the Cruisairs in our nick of the woods.
All I am saying is the Cruisair in our Liberty did not work and not even with running water on the ground under bay 2 street side and front bumper to cool things down.

David
You are welcome to our home any time. I don't care if the A/C work in your coach or not we have 4 bedroom and a full functioning central A/C's that will keep the family comfortable. It is not important what the Cruisairs work or not, as that is no longer my problem. No more coaches for this old man.
07-06-2018, 18:29
108 at the Wine Country RV resort in Paso Robles and my Cruisairs are blowing cold. We're supposed to go as high as 111 in a couple hours.

david brady,

07-06-2018, 20:31 (This post was last modified: 07-06-2018 20:31 by Hisham Amaral.)
(07-06-2018 18:29)davidbrady Wrote:  108 at the Wine Country RV resort in Paso Robles and my Cruisairs are blowing cold. We're supposed to go as high as 111 in a couple hours.
David
111 is hot glad your A/C is work well for you. At a 3:50 this afternoon Las Vegas temp reached 111, the weather man on channel said we are going to 112 tomorrow. Not so good SadSadSad but the house A/C works just fine.
07-07-2018, 20:12
Thanks Hish,

At the coach we hit 107 today and it's a comfortable 68 inside the coach; the AC's are cycling at 68. I have the awnings deployed and the blinds pulled on the sunny side. I'm at 40 amps identically on both legs. I have shore amps set to 45 amps on both legs to be careful not to trip a shore CB. The Trace inverters will supply additional amps from the batteries if I exceed 45 amps.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)