RE: Prevost support for older models
I went from a 97 WLWB43 to a 97 Liberty. haven't looked back
I know CC has a smaller OTR air conditioning than Liberty
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2018, 00:15
Ernie
That is until you get the $7000.00 + bill from Prevost for air leak and front end repairs and #$4000.00 + for a new slide seal in addition to the annual level two or three service needed. I sold both our 04 Marathon XL2, 2 slides and our 03 H345 Liberty 2 slide. If I ever go back we would consider a none XL only without all the electronics.
04-01-2018, 09:47 (This post was last modified: 04-01-2018 09:56 by davidbrady.)
We all have examples of where we think we may have overpaid, either at Prevost or for converter support, but the point I was trying to make is it sure beats the alternative. With my bird I had to beg garages to work on it. What I've done, besides buying a coach w/o pressurized air bladder slide seals, with full house schematics, and with no air operated house devices, is to develop a relationship with my local tour bus operator. Burke Christian Tours out of Denver Co. Burke maintains a fleet of fifty Prevosts. For level 1,2,3 services and other work they save me money. But there's no question bus maintenance can be costly if left unchecked. As always it pays to buy the best maintained coach one can afford, that certainly isn't news to any of us seasoned bus owners.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
04-01-2018, 14:31
We all complain about the high cost of maintenance whether by Prevost or the converter. Labor rates at Prevost and converters run around $125 per hour. New car dealers charge about the same labor rate to get your family car serviced but an automobile is far more simple than a Prevost.

Most Prevost converters tend to pile on as many household amenities as they can in an effort to make their conversion as luxurious as possible. The more items and equipment they add, the more complicated their conversion becomes and therefore more costly to keep repaired and properly maintained.

Level 3 service at Prevost will average between $700 & $900 with more than half of that cost being labor. It takes a few hours to properly service a Prevost chassis. Here’s an example of the detail involved:
OPERATION CODE SM01.2
LEVEL 3 FULL SERVICE / INSPECTION
ENGINE SERVICE:
Change Engine Oil: WT:15w40 Quarts: 40 Reservoir:
Change Engine Oil Filter: Yes
Change Fuel Filter(s): Yes
Inspect Engine Air Filter: Pass
Inspect Main Engine Belts: Pass / Replaced
Inspect Mini Lobe Air Bags: Pass
Drain all Air Tanks: OK
Check if the Air dryer cartridge should be replaced :
Check Belt Tension Air PSI: OK
*****NOTE: PLEASEADJUST TO PROPER PRESSURE
ACCORDING TO THE MODEL AND YEAR.
FLUID LEVELS:
Check Engine Coolant Level: Gallons: 200 Freeze Point:-32°
Change Coolant Filter: Yes PH Level: 1 Additive:
Check Fan Gear Box Fluid: Quarts: Type: OK
Check Power Steering Fluid: Quarts: Type: OK
Check Differential Fluid: Quarts: Type: OK
Check Transmission Fluid: Quarts: Type: OK
LUBE SERVICE / INSPECTION
Grease Front Axle King Pins: Yes
Grease ISS A-Arm Ball Joints: Yes
Grease Steering Linkage: Yes
Grease Brake Components As Required: Yes
Grease Tag Axle Lifting Rod: Yes
Grease Drive Line Ujoints: Yes
Inspect Wheels Seals (All Axles): Pass
Inspect Shocks For Leaks: Pass
Drain Air Tanks (Back to Front): Yes
Inspect For Oil Leaks: Pass
Check Hub Oil Levels: Quarts: Type: OK
Check Tire Air PSI: Fronts: 110 Drives: 100 Tags: 100
TECH NOTES:
I10 Internal Labor 3.9 129.00 503.10
052355 FILLER CAP PAINT 1.000 19.70 19.70
510458 FILTER, OIL "DETROIT DIESEL" 2.000 33.14 66.28
510794 SECONDARY FUEL FILTER, EGR ENG. 1.000 51.57 51.57
531390 ELEMENT, FUEL FILTER 1.000 36.30 36.30
U15W40-B MOTOR OIL 15W40 QT from bulk 40 4.75 190.00
UGREASE-B CHASSIS GREASE LB from bulk 1.000 6.95 6.95
________________________________________________________________T_o_ta_l_ O__p_er_a_t_io_n___________________________________ _ _ _ 8_7_3_.9_0_

Think about it, just the motor oil alone is nearly $200. Invariably, they may find other items that need attention or repaired/replaced during the inspection process.

Some owners are able to defray the costs by performing the repairs and maintenance themselves. However, developing the knowledge of how to do so isn’t learned overnight and proper facilities are needed to perform the jobs. Servicing a bus without the ability to safely raise it is difficult and dangerous.

We all have our priorities and reasons why we chose a particular converter when buying our Prevost coach. I wanted a coach that has service and repair facilities nationwide. Prevost and Marathon fit that bill for me.

Bottom line: My advice, for whatever it’s worth, First and foremost, buy a coach that has been properly maintained with good service records. Then keep the maintenance up to date and you’ll have minimal issues. Buy a coach that has good factory support from the converter. If an issue arises that is beyond your capabilities, you will have competent and knowledgeable backup at your converter’s service center. Doing so will reduce the stress and add to the enjoyment and pleasure of owning a Prevost conversion. Just realize that keeping one properly maintained and roadworthy is certainly not cheap.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
04-01-2018, 19:17
(04-01-2018 09:47)davidbrady Wrote:  We all have examples of where we think we may have overpaid, either at Prevost or for converter support, but the point I was trying to make is it sure beats the alternative. With my bird I had to beg garages to work on it. What I've done, besides buying a coach w/o pressurized air bladder slide seals, with full house schematics, and with no air operated house devices, is to develop a relationship with my local tour bus operator. Burke Christian Tours out of Denver Co. Burke maintains a fleet of fifty Prevosts. For level 1,2,3 services and other work they save me money. But there's no question bus maintenance can be costly if left unchecked. As always it pays to buy the best maintained coach one can afford, that certainly isn't news to any of us seasoned bus owners.

I have not run into this yet, was this with the S60/Allison or the house systems?

--------------------------------
John Hamby
East TN
Looking for 97/98/99
04-01-2018, 20:15
Chassis. Shops don't want to tie up a bay while they're trying to track down parts with no factory to call.

david brady,

04-02-2018, 08:03
I went thru 12 grand with all the air leaks, valves, bag, level 3, shocks, etc etc. Still have a coach that doesn't have all the electronic stuff, just the way we like it
04-02-2018, 09:57
I have zero dollars into chasing and fixing air leaks - my aux system holds air for four weeks. Where are you guys finding your leaks; what are the major culprits?

david brady,

04-02-2018, 10:29
(04-01-2018 20:15)davidbrady Wrote:  Chassis. Shops don't want to tie up a bay while they're trying to track down parts with no factory to call.

Makes sense. I can see that happening with maybe a Wanderlodge that has a liftable or steerable tag, but for the simple dead axle tag, I would be surprised. It's all pretty standard big truck stuff under there. As long as you're somewhat well versed on what bags, shocks, HCLs, dump relays, you have - it's pretty easy to track most of that stuff down.

But, having said that, you make a good point. Anytime a tech can reference a factory manual and look up the right part, it's a huge benefit.

John Hamby
East TN
Looking for 97/98/99
04-08-2018, 18:15
There's nothing that CC or Royale did with XL models that can't be repaired without a knowledge base of their integration. Neither used software defined systems.

Of course, like any 15+ year old system, expect some component or system obsolescence.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)