Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prevost support for older models
03-29-2018, 14:38
Prevost support for older models
Hi,
I'm exploring the option of transitioning from my Wanderlodge to a Prevost. I would like to focus this discussion on support of older models - 15 to 20 years old. I have a fair understanding of the other merits that Prevost offers, such as ride and build quality, and I'm not questioning those. However, what concerns me most is how their service and support network operates. What are the limitations? What can and can't they help you with? What year model does support stop at?

Currently my interest are in 1999/2000 XL-40. Would prefer Liberty or Marathon conversion, also like Royale and Vantare. Slides are not desired.

Thanks,
John
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2018, 00:01 (This post was last modified: 03-30-2018 00:03 by cmillsap.)
RE: Prevost support for older models
(03-29-2018 14:38)JHamby Wrote:  Hi,
I'm exploring the option of transitioning from my Wanderlodge to a Prevost. I would like to focus this discussion on support of older models - 15 to 20 years old. I have a fair understanding of the other merits that Prevost offers, such as ride and build quality, and I'm not questioning those. However, what concerns me most is how their service and support network operates. What are the limitations? What can and can't they help you with? What year model does support stop at?

Currently my interest are in 1999/2000 XL-40. Would prefer Liberty or Marathon conversion, also like Royale and Vantare. Slides are not desired.

Thanks,
John

The Prevost Service Centers can provide repairs for all models and years of the Prevost bus chassis. Some may be limited in their ability to do major repairs to the Detroit Diesel and Allison components of the drive train. But there are many Detroit Diesel and Allison Authorized Service Centers across the country.
Here's a map showing the Prevost Service centers (Black) and other authorized service centers (Red).
http://prevostlocator.liquidint.com/?setLng=en

Depending on which converter you choose will dictate how much support you will have to repair and service the household items installed by the converter.

Marathon has a factory service center in Florida, Texas and Oregon.
Liberty has one in Florida.
Vantares can be serviced & repaired at Donny Meyers, a independent facility in Florida specializing in Vantares.
There is a service center in Indiana (Royale Phoenix) ran by the people who ran the Royale Factory Service Center before it closed.

All these places are fully capable of servicing or repairing their particular conversion. There are also several independent service centers that are capable of repairing most Prevost coaches such as East Tennessee Luxury Coach in Tennessee or Signature Coach in California.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
03-30-2018, 09:33
(03-30-2018 00:01)cmillsap Wrote:  
(03-29-2018 14:38)JHamby Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks,
John

The Prevost Service Centers can provide repairs for all models and years of the Prevost bus chassis. Some may be limited in their ability to do major repairs to the Detroit Diesel and Allison components of the drive train. But there are many Detroit Diesel and Allison Authorized Service Centers across the country.
Here's a map showing the Prevost Service centers (Black) and other authorized service centers (Red).
http://prevostlocator.liquidint.com/?setLng=en

Depending on which converter you choose will dictate how much support you will have to repair and service the household items installed by the converter.

Marathon has a factory service center in Florida, Texas and Oregon.
Liberty has one in Florida.
Vantares can be serviced & repaired at Donny Meyers, a independent facility in Florida specializing in Vantares.
There is a service center in Indiana (Royale Phoenix) ran by the people who ran the Royale Factory Service Center before it closed.

All these places are fully capable of servicing or repairing their particular conversion. There are also several independent service centers that are capable of repairing most Prevost coaches such as East Tennessee Luxury Coach in Tennessee or Signature Coach in California.

Chuck, thanks for the reply.

Drilling into the specifics, if I'm in 2000 model Prevost - regardless of converter - and I'm having a problem airing-up the suspension, I can call a Prevost service center and they have the ability to help troubleshoot the problem over the phone? Is there a cost for that? I'm also assuming for your chassis ID they have the schematics and parts inventory list?

Regarding the latter, thus I can call and they can order an air bag, air dryer, ...air relay valve, air governor? etc., ... or whatever came on the bus originally? Is that correct?

Obviously in my current bus there can be some challenges in that situation, so I'm trying to quantify the value of being able call a Prevost service center when I need help or a part.

-btw- how do I setup my signature? I can't seem to locate it in the CP.

John
03-30-2018, 10:23
With as many XL coaches there are still in service, you can expect Prevost support many years to come. Keep in mind that Prevost is not immune to component obsolescence. Thankfully, there are few parts that aren't available and of those that aren't there is a used market or replacement market. Some items no longer available include the large side opening windows, door lock mechanism, and Bosch tail lights. I have the best designed tail light replacement assembly, so no worries about the obsolete Bosch lights.

Let me suggest you spend as much time looking at the converters systems and support for those systems. Some of the coach automation systems used then are no longer supported or available. Some converters won't supply electrical drawings, so it can be a PITA to work on or replace with something else. One converter used aluminum for their black/gray water tank. Yep, it is destined for failure. Hopefully, that is caught before there's bay damage.

Depending on your maintenance mindset, I strongly encourage you put Royale and Country Coach on your list. Both from companies that had more RV building experience than all other Prevost converters combined. CC was simple and Royale even simplier.

Some Prevost shops have reduced their Detroit service offerings, which should not be too concerning. There are reputable Detroit/Allison shops everywhere.
03-30-2018, 12:14
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. To change your signature click on your "user_cp" which is located next to your login name at the top of the home page, then click on "signature" which is at the left under "user profile".

I'd add that Vantare also has their factory service centers. There's Featherlite Virginia located in Suffolk and Featherlite Florida located in Sanford.

You've probably noticed that Prevost does offer it's PASS program: (Prevost Action Service System) which is a 24/7/365 service hotline with technical support: https://www.prevostcar.com/parts-and-ser...pport/pass. I've never used this service, maybe others can comment on its effectiveness.

Prevost has a very good website where you can access all of the manuals, parts lists, and schematics for every aspect of your coach. Just type in your VIN: https://techpub.prevostcar.com/en/manuals No need to call, you can order parts online. Prevost periodically offers promotional prices on parts: https://www.prevostcar.com/parts-and-ser...promotions. They'll often discount suspension air springs, so it pays to keep an eye on these promotions. You'll quickly get used to the idea of having a factory standing behind you. Many of us loved our Wanderlodges, but for many the lack of factory support forced the tipping point into Prevost ownership. You'll never go back.

Some of the older coach body parts are no longer available from Prevost, but as CC_Guy mentioned, virtually everything is available on the after market; for instance, IPB Industries out of Apopka, Fl supplies body panels, door assemblies, and trim pieces, and they're willing to do custom work for items not listed.

Some parts have been discontinued by their manufacturer. This is the case with the Bosch taillights. In situations like this the after market has stepped in to fill the gap with alternative components. Again, the shear number of XL's still in service is a compelling business case for suppliers to get in on the act.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
03-30-2018, 16:08
Thanks all for the response. It certainly sounds like having access to the Prevost service network would be a step up.

Switching gears to the converter aspect of support. Since CC and Royale are no longer doing conversions, what kind of challenges should I expect to encounter if I were to purchase one of their coaches? And what aspects of those conversions makes them simpler?

On the other hand, If I were to purchase a Marathon or Liberty, does that mean I would get access to their support program including things like plumbing and electrical diagrams/schematics?

John

--------------------------------
John Hamby
East TN
Looking for 97/98/99
03-30-2018, 16:44
John,

In general converters keep documentation, drawings, and schematics to themselves for obvious reasons. The rare exceptions are Parliament and Vantare. You may be able to get some Royale documentation from Royale Phoenix, but you won't get any from Liberty or Marathon. in those cases you're dependent upon their service departments. There's one person who managed to retain the Country Coach schematics for the Electronics Cabinet, but I haven't heard of any documentation available beyond this, CC_Guy would know. A major factor in my choice of Vantare is the available documentation.

david brady,

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-30-2018, 21:00
(03-30-2018 16:44)travelite Wrote:  John,

In general converters keep documentation, drawings, and schematics to themselves for obvious reasons. The rare exceptions are Parliament and Vantare. You may be able to get some Royale documentation from Royale Phoenix, but you won't get any from Liberty or Marathon. in those cases you're dependent upon their service departments. There's one person who managed to retain the Country Coach schematics for the Electronics Cabinet, but I haven't heard of any documentation available beyond this, CC_Guy would know. A major factor in my choice of Vantare is the available documentation.

Actually, that's not very obvious to me, but maybe I'm just not in-tune with the converter aspect of Prevost ownership. Are you saying the converters view the wiring schematics of a 15+ year old bus as intellectual property? Is that for competitive reasons or revenue retention?

So if you have a no start situation and you think the 'neutral safety relay' is the culprit, you have no documentation that tells you where that relay is? Maybe I'm misunderstanding things.

John Hamby
East TN
Looking for 97/98/99
03-30-2018, 23:08 (This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 03:26 by davidbrady.)
(03-30-2018 21:00)JHamby Wrote:  Actually, that's not very obvious to me, but maybe I'm just not in-tune with the converter aspect of Prevost ownership. Are you saying the converters view the wiring schematics of a 15+ year old bus as intellectual property? Is that for competitive reasons or revenue retention?

So if you have a no start situation and you think the 'neutral safety relay' is the culprit, you have no documentation that tells you where that relay is? Maybe I'm misunderstanding things.

Not only a fifteen year old coach, but also a brand new coach. To me it's very loose application of Intellectual property. There's hardly anything unique or novel about the wiring required to turn on a light bulb. Nonetheless, most converters keep this information to themselves. Long gone are the days when manufacturers supplied useful repair guides and documentation for the products they sold. Notice that Prevost has no compulsion against sharing full schematics for their chassis. I think it's a mark of quality that a manufacturer is willing to share this information, and quite frankly it makes me a repeat customer.

david brady,

03-31-2018, 00:11
It's also worth mentioning that the work converters do overlays Prevost chassis systems without tapping into them. This helps a great deal in isolating problems to the chassis or to the house.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)