Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8v92 Prevo h3-40, best way to drive that 5sp Tranny
09-19-2015, 22:20
8v92 Prevo h3-40, best way to drive that 5sp Tranny
Hello everyone.well i finally bought my first Prevost. It's a old but goodie. 1993 Marathon h3-40. My question is, where do I need to keep my rpm's so I don't lug my engine. I travel from michigan to california 2x a year and we have some hills and. Am towning a trailer. Thanks for all the advice in advance. GOD BLESS & safe travels.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2015, 12:10
RE: 8v92 Prevo h3-40, best way to drive that 5sp Tranny
Hi Mrtimholmes,

Welcome to the forum. The only thing I know about the two-cycle detroits is that you're supposed to run them like you got your finger pinched in the door on the way in! Hammer down! Smile For more info from the experts I'd join the yahoo:groups:detroit diesel engines two-strokers forum: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DetroitDiesel/info

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
10-21-2015, 13:57
Stock settings usually somewhat like this. Max 2100 RPM cruise at 1650 to 1900 if that works and your EGT temps stay relatively normal. I always liked the sound of my 6V at 1700 and fuel mileage was better there.

More importantly though please be aware not to put 15W40 engine oil in that motor. If you have it serviced at a repair facility make sure they put Straight weight oil either 30 weight or preferably 40 W oil in it. Chevron Delo 100 not 400 is the oil of choice by most users although I have used Shell straight weight as well. If you use 30W you may want to add some STP to it as well if the weather is warm.
11-18-2015, 09:18
I had an 8v92 with 5 speed in previous coach. I would downshift it the speed goes down considerably. You want to keep the rpms up which in turn keeps all the fluids moving and oil pressure up.

Ernie Ekberg
97 Liberty Classic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)