Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Brake or Transmission Retarder, or Both
01-08-2016, 17:22
RE: Jake Brake or Transmission Retarder, or Both
The 3 stage Jake on my previous Wanderlodge LXi worked beautifully to slow the coach and it was so dependable on downgrades. I found the 2 stage Jake on my Prevost Marathon not quite up to the performance level of my LXi's Jake. So I had it and the S60's valves adjusted which did improve its performance but not that much.

Now I don't know exactly what the difference is between the two Jakes. Theoretically, given that both bus's weight and gearing is similar they should slow the bus speed in a similar fashion but I believe the LXi's Jake did it more quickly at stage 3 or full on. The full on stage 2 Jake on my Marathon's performance is similar to the stage 2 (4 cylinder) performance of the LXi's 3 stage Jake. This makes me wonder if the 2 stage Jake on my Prevost when set full on is only working on 4 cylinders of the S60.

Does anyone know if a 2 stage Jake at full on operates on all 6 of the S60's cylinders or only on 4 cylinders?

Regarding the comparison between a Jake or a trans retarder, I have driven Prevosts with both and I like the Jake best. That could be because I've had a lot of experience driving busses with Jakes and not mush driving busses with trans retarders.

Truth is both braking systems if used improperly by the driver can result in overheating. That being the chassis brakes on a bus equipped with an engine Jake brake or overheating of the transmission fluid on a bus equipped with a transmission retarder. Both work well if operated properly by the driver.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
Arizona
2003 Marathon XLII S/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S
2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S
2000 Wanderlodge LXi N
/S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jake Brake or Transmission Retarder, or Both - cmillsap - 01-08-2016 17:22

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)