Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant System Green Goo
07-04-2017, 17:57 (This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 20:05 by davidbrady.)
RE: Coolant System Green Goo
Chuck,

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't think the industry really understands what happens when an aged conventional coolant is diluted with an organic coolant or vice versa. While the fluids are individually suitable, when mixed they may not be. From what I can tell this is still very much an open question and the escape clause that engine manufacturers resort to is "drain and discard your coolant on periodic intervals," with the period being a relatively short two to four years. It sounds like a CYA maneuver on the part of the industry. Can you imagine asking a manufacturing facility to drain and dispose of their 100,000 gal industrial closed loop cooling system every 2 years? You can be sure manufacturing industries of this type are very careful about how they maintain and what they put into their industrial cooling systems. Furthermore, depending upon the anti-corrosion/cavitating protective layer laid down by one coolant technology, it may be necessary to use an alkaline rinse to remove it to enable a different coolant technology to work. The two tools in our arsenal are flush and clean, and drain and discard before migrating to another coolant technology. Perhaps this is enough.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017, 12:40
RE: Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-04-2017 17:57

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)