Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant System Green Goo
07-02-2017, 16:12 (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 16:21 by davidbrady.)
RE: Coolant System Green Goo
Be very careful with Prevost Chuck. Prevost uses extended life coolant exclusively. If you ask them to top-up your cooling system the tech will probably pump ELC (OAT) coolant into your system screwing up your chemistry.

My bus had standard coolant in it when I purchased it. Prevost in Richmond, BC checked it and replaced the NalCool 3000 filter. During my 4500 mile trip home my DDEC coolant temperature sensor went bad. I stopped in Prevost (Nashville) for a new sensor. In the process they dumped probably 15 gallons of a 20 gallon system. They filled it with ELC (OAT). I thought nothing of it because I knew I'd be converting to ELC anyway. I asked them for a blank filter. They said they had none. I left it at that. I just now checked the receipt from 3 years and 15000 miles ago and I see they charged me for a new NalCool 3000 filter which I would not let them put on if I knew. Goes to show you need to watch these guys at every step.

Anyway, I know ELC coolant can tolerate 25% dilution by standard coolant, so I wasn't concerned about silicate dropout; frankly, I believe the silicate dropout occurred before I bought the bus when it was running standard coolant because ELC is silicate free. In reality, I have no idea what folks poured into it over the years, and I'm definitely remiss in not doing a total coolant system flush 3 years ago when I bought the bus.

Yesterday I pumped 45 gallons of fresh DD PowerCool ELC (OAT) through my system and renewed the filter with a blank: Wix: 24070. So I now have pure ELC but I also know there's a silicate dropout (green goo) film covering at least parts of the cooling system.

I may dump the coolant and save it so I can pour it back in, and remove the transmission cooler for inspection. This is the prudent thing to do. I'm going to try hard to do this before our trip.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017, 12:40
RE: Coolant System Green Goo - davidbrady - 07-02-2017 16:12

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)