Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run AC's from Inverters or not
06-08-2017, 13:01 (This post was last modified: 06-08-2017 14:39 by travelite.)
Run AC's from Inverters or not
I've always enjoyed the ability to power cruisairs and roof airs via my Trace SW inverters powered by the engine driven alternator. My cruisairs need around 2kW of power each; the engine driven Delco Remy 50DN alternator is good for 7kW continuous. At 24V the draw is 80A per cruisair which to me doesn't appear to be a strain on the venerable 50DN. When traveling in moderate climates I'll often run up to two cruisairs off the alternator/inverters, one on each inverter. The 50DN is rated at 300A continuous duty and the inverters are known to run 7x24 for 15 years or more without failure in off-grid installations. In hot, hot weather I'll run the generator and four cruisairs but when I pull into a CG I often kill two cruisairs and turn off the generator. My inverters quickly and seamlessly transfer power over to the batteries. (Or, I can let the Vantare Power Management automatically prune two cruisairs). When I connect shore power the inverters seamlessly transfer power to shore all with nary a hiccup from the cruisairs. I enjoy the flexibility, redundancy, and seamlessness of this approach. What's your opinion on running air conditioners from the inverters?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Run AC's from Inverters or not - davidbrady - 06-08-2017 13:01

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)