Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when to raise tag axle?
06-03-2017, 20:33
RE: when to raise tag axle?
I'm in the group that only lifts my tag when backing into a tight camp site or parking space.

I too have looked at what my 315 tag tire looks like in mid tight backing turn. It looks scary. Although I have no idea if this lateral force is why some 365 tires fail in the tag position, I wouldn't be surprised. Again, only an opinion, but I doubt Michelin takes into consideration extreme lateral force when they publish their minimum pressure chart. I personally will never run my tires at the minimum pressure and that's especially true for my tag.

As for concern in overloading the drive axle or drive tires. Sure it's a concern, but one I dismiss given I only raise my tag when barely rolling into a parking space or when operating my front slide. What concerns me more is when the coach is lifted on 4 portable wheel lifts. The jacks probably have a similar displacement area as the road, but it sure doesn't look like it. Yes, I try avoiding places that only have 4 portable lifts.

While on the topic. Why do few every concern themselves with overloading the front axle? If the front axle is rated at less than 18,180 pounds (the maximum weight rating of 2 315 tires) then I would think moving up to 365 tires from 315 tires would have no effect on the maximum weight rating of the front axle. Sure, a 365 will provide a better ride and won't be the weak link in a front end failure, but the 365's added weight rating would seem to improve an axle weight rated at less than the rating of 315 tires.

At the end of the day, I suspect our suspension can handle a lot more than the weight rating decal states. BTW, if the drive axle rating is 22,500 pounds then I believe the decal is stating the federal maximum and not the actual drive axle.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
when to raise tag axle? - cmillsap - 06-01-2017, 20:41
RE: when to raise tag axle? - CC_Guy - 06-03-2017 20:33

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)