Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8V92 Coach Purchase and Maintenance Prospects
03-27-2019, 13:21 (This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 13:29 by fasteddie313.)
RE: 8V92 Coach Purchase and Maintenance Prospects
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Least complicated sounds good. The less automation and therefore crap that can break the better..
I'm not too worried about the coach converter options yet other than whether or not they used proprietary electronics that are now NLA or unreasonably expencive to replace, or ones that are known to need a lot more repairs, less durable ones. I would be interested to hear about what to possibly stay away from.

As far as interior options I saw one that had glass roof panels in the front like skylights with slides to cover them inside and really liked that.
IIRC their were 3 in a row on each side of the ceiling about from behind the drivers seat going about 10 feet back, but I think I only saw one like this so it is probably rare. It was on RVTrader somewhere in socal pretty cheap but has been gone for a while now.
I have probably been looking at Prevosts for sale for 2 years or so..

I think I would not necessarily want OTR AC and am not overly concerned with AC because I would be more likely to be where it's too cold than where it's too hot.. I am from the north.
How do these do in cold climates? Is the plumbing protected enough to be usable in the winter if the coach is heated? Do they hold heat ok? Is it hard to keep the basement warm enough to keep pipes from freezing?

I like the idea of buying a well maintained perfect one that is fresh and ready to go but that probably isn't what is going to happen..
I think I would be more likely and rather want to find one that needs some TLC that I could put some sweat equity into and come out right-side-up on it from the start, for my financial mental comfort.. This depends a lot on initial purchase price, cost of rehab, and eventually ARV..

Cost of rehab is proving to be the hardest aspect to research.
Things like brakes (pads-rotors/drums-calipers-chambers-valves), airbags and associated ride and leveling systems, wheel bearings, steering gear, U-joints, suspension bushings, whatever that usually needs to be fixed and is likely to need attention on an older bus..
Are these all the same in the 8V years range of busses or are their model year changes with different parts?
Where can I find system diagrams with part numbers so I can get a good understanding of the systems and the cost of replacement parts?
Do any of these jobs require special tooling or unusual complications or expenses?
Are their any good How-To's out there that cover common fixes?
Where can I find a PPI checklist?

I am not buying right now but want to arm myself with the education I need to make a well informed decision on possibly buying one in the future.
The only way I would spend this much money would be on a well informed and rational decision.

Oh, and how about them transmissions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8V92 Coach Purchase and Maintenance Prospects - fasteddie313 - 03-27-2019 13:21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)