Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting your Trace Auto Gen Start Parameters
02-22-2019, 23:35 (This post was last modified: 02-23-2019 00:32 by travelite.)
RE: Setting your Trace Auto Gen Start Parameters
I'd add that the Trace inverter is mil-spec having seen combat in Desert-Storm and beyond. They are truly remarkable in that the total available software space is 6KB (kilobyte) and the technology is no more complex than what you'd find in your dishwasher. (3 Microchip micro-controllers and a handful of TTL logic). In addition to the RV world and the military, many have been sold for industrial backup and residential backup and off-grid applications. Now you see why I want to keep these alive by providing power boards and controller boards. Are there areas for improvement? Yes. They need to be brought into the 21st century. There's no IP interface. There's no standardized management protocol allowing an interface to Crestron, RTI or network management system; there's an absence of non-volatile storage; there's no way to parallel units for more inverter or charging power; there's a relatively coarse adjustment of AC voltage amplitudes but yet it still manages less than 3% total harmonic distortion. They were phenomenal for their day and they still rein in some areas, but in many ways they're stuck in the 90's. It's clear to me why Xantrex dropped the design - they're expensive to build as compared to today's standard high frequency inverter. They have a lot of parts and the assembly in not simple, especially the powerboards. But I have a hard time letting them go. They came out of the high-fidelity world where folks needed clean power supplies for their hi-fidelity amplifiers and they're incredibly overbuilt. One of the things that really stokes me about them is the way they perfectly lock onto the incoming shore or generator power frequency. It's technology that came out of the military for tracking guided missiles. The lead engineer at Trace learned his trade in the military. It's a very good design.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Setting your Trace Auto Gen Start Parameters - travelite - 02-22-2019 23:35

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)