Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing a Jeep Cherokee Overland
04-11-2018, 10:12 (This post was last modified: 04-11-2018 10:31 by travelite.)
RE: Towing a Jeep Cherokee Overland
That's a good writeup Chuck. Maybe to lessen the pain ever so slightly you might install one of these fuse bypass switches: https://www.etrailer.com/question-51883.html. At least this way you don't need to constantly open the hood to remove and replace the fuse. You may have to lengthen it a little depending upon where your fuse box is located.

I'm afraid electronic power assist steering is here to stay. It's hard to find a new passenger car that doesn't employ EPAS. The advantages are too many, and they've proven to be relatively reliable. There's a story or two out there of early failure with unintended steering but not many. The system in my Flex appears to be the Fail-Operational type, which means in the event of failure it falls back on mechanical steering. There are problems with this because I don't think most owners fully appreciate the amount of steering input required to steer a non-power assist car and they may think they have no steering. (The driver may even have to manually unwind the steering in slow corners). It'd be much better to have a fully redundant system with multiple motors, controllers, sensors, and a voting mechanism. Aircraft probably use this sort of system, but no way are penny pinching car companies going to. Sad Given a choice, I'd opt for the old hydraulics!

I don't know if my Flex EPAS is always powered, but I know my battery runs down very rapidly. It tows beautifully, probably better then any of my other toads.

Good luck, I hope you have success with the new setup.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Towing a Jeep Cherokee Overland - travelite - 04-11-2018 10:12

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)