Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement Trace SW FET Power Board
11-06-2019, 01:31 (This post was last modified: 11-07-2019 12:20 by Hisham Amaral.)
RE: Replacement Trace SW FET Power Board
Congratulation David great job, this board will add life to outstanding power inverters keep going a long time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hisham Amaral's post:
davidbrady (11-06-2019)
12-29-2019, 09:52
Any news on availability yet?

John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1995 Prevost H3-45 Vantare
Series 60
12-31-2019, 15:53
Hi John, yes, they're available. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk particulars. I hope to announce a replacement control board in the coming year. This way I'll be able to offer a total rebuild of a faulty inverter to virtually as-new condition. Happy New Year!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"there is no perfect forum there are only perfect forums"
05-19-2020, 21:15 (This post was last modified: 05-19-2020 22:10 by davidbrady.)
Finally got a TCP/IP stack embedded into the inverter. I'm running data over a publish/subscribe protocol called MQTT. MQTT has become the defacto standard for IOT devices. In the video I start three loads one by one, a hair dryer, a space heater, and a grinder. I then turn off each one by one, then I plug into shore power for a quick charging session. Next up is a PCB design for my control board. Enjoy!

david brady,

06-22-2020, 19:07 (This post was last modified: 06-22-2020 22:33 by davidbrady.)
Here's a printed circuit board layout I just completed which adds an ethernet connector and tcp/ip stack to the inverter. This board uses a Microchip PIC32 microcontroller. Once I put a BOM (bill of materials) together I'll send it out to have it fabricated. Installation is simple, just remove one of the 8 bit micro's on the existing board and plug this board into the 8 bit socket and you now have monitoring and control of your inverter over the inter or intranet. Next up is completing the entire PCB control card.

david brady,

[-] The following 1 user Likes davidbrady's post:
Robert Britton (06-24-2020)
06-27-2020, 22:18
(06-22-2020 19:07)davidbrady Wrote:  Here's a printed circuit board layout I just completed which adds an ethernet connector and tcp/ip stack to the inverter. This board uses a Microchip PIC32 microcontroller. Once I put a BOM (bill of materials) together I'll send it out to have it fabricated. Installation is simple, just remove one of the 8 bit micro's on the existing board and plug this board into the 8 bit socket and you now have monitoring and control of your inverter over the inter or intranet. Next up is completing the entire PCB control card.

Wow David that is great looking board. Sue and I are back looking at Prevost without slides I will let you know if I find a good one to buy, the other requirement is roof air a must. I spoke with Greg and Micheal at Featherlight they told me the none slide unites had issues with their Crusie airs not running at hi temp area. Will keep posted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hisham Amaral's post:
davidbrady (06-28-2020)
06-28-2020, 11:09
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and the Likes. Hish, that's great news. Donnie always recommended the Vantare H3 over the Vantare XL. He said Vantare didn't build enough XL's to work out most of the bugs. I don't mind what you get as long as you get something! Good luck in your search and please keep us informed. Let us know if we can help.

david brady,

07-21-2020, 18:49
Hi to you all on this forum and apologies for butting in as I am not a coach man.
However I am a Trace SW inverter enthusiast in the UK and am delighted and impressed by what davidbrady has been doing with the SW4024.
Here we had the SW2612E,3024E,3048E and 4548E.
Here in the UK we are 230v and 50hz so I have a few questions...
Are the voltage and frequency of the inverters read from the pic or the proms?
What fets are being used on the SW 4024 replacement boards?
What current are the replacement fet boards good for? The SW216E draws 300a at full load

Nearly all the SW inverter failures I have seen in the UK have been failure of the "Papa bear" main transformer.These are no longer available for the "E" models from anywhere and I have been exploring replacing with a toroidal type instead of having the originals rewound.
Would be interested in any thoughts on doing this.
Thank you for your time.
08-05-2020, 15:55 (This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 20:46 by davidbrady.)
Hi Ronsine,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the compliment. The RMS line voltages and frequencies are read from the 32KB EPROM; i.e., the EPROM at the center of the control board. My SW4024 powerboard uses On Semiconductor MOSFETs part number: HUF75345P. May I ask what FETs your inverters are running? 200A continuous with intermittent peaks to 400A is easily achievable with this board in an SW4024 chassis. Your 2612 has a continuous power of 2600VA which gives you a DC amperage of around 200A; my powerboard should be fine in this application. I think the 300A spec is for 11.8V, 85% efficiency, and 125% NEC CB, which is very intermittent if occurring at all. I suspect Trace used the same Powerboard in many applications, with possible minor tweaks to the driver cards. I find one of the beauties of the Trace SW series design to be the abundant thermal headroom; i.e., Trace SWs run cool, as compared to high frequency inverters, which allows the Trace to monitor temperatures closely and apply excess power generously. I think toroids would be a great solution. I haven't yet spent anytime analyzing the magnetics. If you want to pick up on that task that'd be a great help.

david brady,

08-15-2020, 17:19 (This post was last modified: 11-15-2021 13:24 by davidbrady.)
Boards are available through Cane Creek Inverters, LLC: $995.00.

Trace Xantrex SW4024 Inverter Power Board. Brand-new not refurbished. Manufactured by Cane Creek Inverters, LLC.

These SW4024 Power Boards are fresh PCB's manufactured on 4 oz copper boards, 3 oz MOSFET driver daughter cards, 30 oz copper bus bars, using latest surface mount technology and the latest Cornell Dubilier capacitors. The Power Boards offer over-current protection, thermal protection, short circuit protection, and reverse bias protection. The PCB boards are manufactured from 0.062" FR4. The 3 optically isolated MOSFET driver cards drive 3 H-Bridges switching a total of 52 Power MOSFETs. These Power Boards are fully tested to OEM specifications.

PCB's compliant to 94V-0 flammability rating and Recognized UL. All components Recognized UL.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)